• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Self-studying O Level Biology in 10 months?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking the biology exam in M/J 14. Do you believe self-studying biology in 9-10 months is possible? How should I go about it? I mean, will going through the book and solving past papers be enough? I don't study chem or physics and the last time I studied bio was 3 years ago. I figured I needed a science subject, and I find biology the easiest. Also, the optional subjects I study at school are super easy. I don't get much homework either. Could this be doable?

If you're still reading, please recommend some bio books that you found helpful. And how long approx. Should going through the syllabus once take me? How many hours a day should I study it for? If you feel like I should know anything else, please.do tell me. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Anything is possible.
Before making such decisions, you need to analyze yourself.
You need to understand how capable you are.
Finishing the Biology Course in a certain time, varies from person to person.
Not everyone is equally smart, that is a FACT.
Someone dumb might take 3 years to study Biology, yet might end up with a B or C.
While someone smart, can cover the syllabus in 5 months even and get an A or A*.
So it depends on one's intellectual capabilities.
If you think you have the required level of intellect to comprehend and understand the concepts of Biology fast and a good memory, then Go for it.
10 months is more than enough, to complete the course thoroughly along with past papers.
The amount of time you give per day, again, depends on you.
If you can understand the concepts easily, then go for a topic per day.
Just read the stuff from the book and solve past papers. There are no complications involved in Biology.
It's a relatively easy subject as compared to Physics and Chemistry.
It requires understanding of the Human Body and the Biological world around us.
No complex formulas and stuff are required.
Use the 'Fedral' and 'Mary Jones' Books. They are the best.
Judging from your English Expression you will be able to write good answers in the Theory Paper, which is where students usually lose marks, due to their poor expression and they fail to convey the answer to the examiner.
You are motivated and Hard-working.
I'll say Go for it. Good Luck! :)

Reaction score
Anything is possible.
Before making such decisions, you need to analyze yourself.
You need to understand how capable you are.
Finishing the Biology Course in a certain time, varies from person to person.
Not everyone is equally smart, that is a FACT.
Someone dumb might take 3 years to study Biology, yet might end up with a B or C.
While someone smart, can cover the syllabus in 5 months even and get an A or A*.
So it depends on one's intellectual capabilities.
If you think you have the required level of intellect to comprehend and understand the concepts of Biology fast and a good memory, then Go for it.
10 months is more than enough, to complete the course thoroughly along with past papers.
The amount of time you give per day, again, depends on you.
If you can understand the concepts easily, then go for a topic per day.
Just read the stuff from the book and solve past papers. There are no complications involved in Biology.
It's a relatively easy subject as compared to Physics and Chemistry.
It requires understanding of the Human Body and the Biological world around us.
No complex formulas and stuff are required.
Use the 'Fedral' and 'Mary Jones' Books. They are the best.
Judging from your English Expression you will be able to write good answers in the Theory Paper, which is where students usually lose marks, due to their poor expression and they fail to convey the answer to the examiner.
You are motivated and Hard-working.
I'll say Go for it. Good Luck! :)

damn right i finished alevel bio in 3 months it depends on intellectual ability nd motivation

Reaction score

Would you be surprised if I popped this bubble and told you someone smart might end up with a B/C?

It's not about knowing the stuff. It's about reproducing it, and the method of reproducing it. Just saying.

Reaction score
To the OP, Yes! Absolutely. If you have the aptitude for it, go for it. Ain't no rocket science + the syllabus, at O Levels, isn't tough at all.

Reaction score
Would you be surprised if I popped this bubble and told you someone smart might end up with a B/C?

It's not about knowing the stuff. It's about reproducing it, and the method of reproducing it. Just saying.

Won't someone smart reproduce material in a more efficient way?
Everyone can get A's.
That is not something hard, at O-Level. It is 'Ordinary Level', after all.
But the time taken and study requirement depends on person to person. That's what i meant.
Not everyone has the equal level of concentration and understanding.
Heck, i have seen people who fail to even interpret English properly.
They find it hard to understand the requirement of the question and go about writing useless crap. If you know what i mean!
So they are more likely to end up with a B/C.

So if the person who started this thread can manage to give sufficient time to ''Biology'' in these 10 months. Well enough!
Study hard for 10 months and get an A*. That's totally possible! :)

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking the biology exam in M/J 14. Do you believe self-studying biology in 9-10 months is possible? How should I go about it? I mean, will going through the book and solving past papers be enough? I don't study chem or physics and the last time I studied bio was 3 years ago. I figured I needed a science subject, and I find biology the easiest. Also, the optional subjects I study at school are super easy. I don't get much homework either. Could this be doable?

If you're still reading, please recommend some bio books that you found helpful. And how long approx. Should going through the syllabus once take me? How many hours a day should I study it for? If you feel like I should know anything else, please.do tell me. Thank you so much!

by the way guy how old r u

Reaction score
I think you can if you are determined, but some topics like inheritance, plant reproduction etc might seem tough for self study, so please do find some guidance if you can