• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

should i start preparing for my Alevels ....

Reaction score
I have my last O level exam on 8 June .
I wanted to ask the A1 and A2 students that , should i start studying fro A levels ( i can start like by 15 June ) ? Would it be a better idea to cover the whole A1 syllabus in the vacations or wait till the academic session starts and then start studying ?

Advice needed . I think it would be best if i started studying , from what i hear , A level isn't going to be as easy . Just want to know , what you guys think .

Reaction score
I wanted to ask the A1 and A2 students that , should i start studying fro A levels ( i can start like by 15 June ) ? Would it be a better idea to cover the whole A1 syllabus in the vacations or wait till the academic session starts and then start studying ?

Advice needed . I think it would be best if i started studying , from what i hear , A level isn't going to be as easy . Just want to know , what you guys think .
I think the earlier you start,the better:)

Reaction score
No.. just study at the pace of your school lol.. enjoy your vacation and chances are you will not reap any actual benefits from studying this early anyway.. it only takes 1-2 weeks, studying at a moderate level, to finish most subjects anyway.. don't stress yourself

Reaction score
No.. just study at the pace of your school lol.. enjoy your vacation and chances are you will not reap any actual benefits from studying this early anyway.. it only takes 1-2 weeks, studying at a moderate level, to finish most subjects anyway.. don't stress yourself

yeah sure ...
but wouldn't it be better if i already had a firm grasp of all the concepts , before school started ? i mean it worked pretty good for me in O levels . And anyway , i don't really enjoy sitting at home , being bored out of my head doing nothing but watching movies and shows and listening to songs and waiting for my next Escape .
Sure i'll enjoy my vacations but wouldn't it be more healthy to do some productive stuff alongside?

Reaction score
If you want an honest opinion, don't finish the whole AS syllabus or something before even the year starts. I did this after my o levels for Maths and then the whole AS I was bored in the class. A little early studying could definitely help you but don't just finish the whole syllabus. A levels is hard but if you can study like 3-4 hours everyday at home after school for A1 and A2 then trust me getting an A is a piece of cake. All you need to understand is that its not like o levels where you can play all 3 years, study in the end and get marks. Here you have to consistently study the whole 2 years or in the end you'll be under too much load.

Reaction score
If you want an honest opinion, don't finish the whole AS syllabus or something before even the year starts. I did this after my o levels for Maths and then the whole AS I was bored in the class. A little early studying could definitely help you but don't just finish the whole syllabus. A levels is hard but if you can study like 3-4 hours everyday at home after school for A1 and A2 then trust me getting an A is a piece of cake. All you need to understand is that its not like o levels where you can play all 3 years, study in the end and get marks. Here you have to consistently study the whole 2 years or in the end you'll be under too much load.

well actually i played whole 2 years, then studied for like 6 months and then stopped studying right in April and then revised on the last night :p .

I don't think , i can help it now . I took Add Maths in O level , and even though today's paper was :eek: i still know the P1 and P3 Math topics . I'll be bored in the class , either way :D

Reaction score

Firstly, when your exams end, take my word that you really WON'T be able to study, no matter how many resolutions u make right now ;) I remember thinking the exact same thing when I was done with my O'levels and all the planning I had done of studying for SAT, A'levels, etc. I even went ahead and brought the SAT books immediately after exams but all that planning went pretty much down the drain :p
A'levels is not easy, you got that right and that's exactly why u should just kick back and relax....once u step into A'levels, u'll miss every second of freedom and won't have anything other than studies anyways :cool:

Take it easy.

Reaction score
Firstly, when your exams end, take my word that you really WON'T be able to study, no matter how many resolutions u make right now ;) I remember thinking the exact same thing when I was done with my O'levels and all the planning I had done of studying for SAT, A'levels, etc. I even went ahead and brought the SAT books immediately after exams but all that planning went pretty much down the drain :p
A'levels is not easy, you got that right and that's exactly why u should just kick back and relax....once u step into A'levels, u'll miss every second of freedom and won't have anything other than studies anyways :cool:

Take it easy.

Don't demotivate me :p
Well i don't do much expect study , even now , so i guess not much will change . And i know how boring vacations get , experienced it last year . All day , all you get to do is eat and sleep . I'd like to make good of my time , one way or another . Just thought studying was the best option .

Reaction score

Take it easy.
True...A levels requires consistent study..its not that you can study for 6-8 months and secure excellent grades..Take a break after your O levels and then once you open up your A level course do read every chapter very carefully..and remember it is now the ADVANCED LEVEL!!
Good luck:)

Reaction score

Yes, start them. But dont finish the whole syllabus. Well, the benefit of studying in vacation is that later in the year you will be able to take part more in extracurricular activities, which are equally important. If you have covered some of the course bfor thn you wont have to worry abt how to manage study and activities together...

Reaction score
Don't demotivate me :p
Well i don't do much expect study , even now , so i guess not much will change . And i know how boring vacations get , experienced it last year . All day , all you get to do is eat and sleep . I'd like to make good of my time , one way or another . Just thought studying was the best option .
well, if you really do think u'll be able to study, then best of luck! ;)

Reaction score
yes,u should do that.do enjoy your vaccation but alevels are preety tough.some of my class mates did in that way.they all got As and Bs in last year for AS.They were vry smart.Since u have the enthusiasm go for it.u will realise it later how great it is to do it earlier.so in the class u will be doing it for the second time.whatever u miss will be covered in school.others are telling u not to do it because they want u to suffer in the same way they did.aim for A*s and study hard with enthusiasm and lve it from the bottom of ur heart then no one can stop u frm reaching sky.best of luck.

Reaction score
yes,u should do that.do enjoy your vaccation but alevels are preety tough.some of my class mates did in that way.they all got As and Bs in last year for AS.They were vry smart.Since u have the enthusiasm go for it.u will realise it later how great it is to do it earlier.so in the class u will be doing it for the second time.whatever u miss will be covered in school.others are telling u not to do it because they want u to suffer in the same way they did.aim for A*s and study hard with enthusiasm and lve it from the bottom of ur heart then no one can stop u frm reaching sky.best of luck.
hahahaha...well said:p

Reaction score
My opinion is too start studying from your summer vacations like form 15 July and cover the whole syllabus. Once your done with that, you'll be finished with the past papers by January. Trust me, A levels is freaking tough so study but don't overburden yourself. Try to strike that Oh so sweet balance. :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

Well, you'll most probably appearing for your AS exams next May/June.
In that case, I think it'd be a good option to start now. Otherwise it's gonna be a problem in the end.

If you complete it in the vacations, even though you don't get the topic 100%, but when you'll get back to school, you'd find those classes helpful. At that time, you could practice pastpapers side by side. Considering, you'll be covering up most of the syllabus, and then taking the lesson in school...you can solve pastpapers topic wise. A month or so before before the finals, you can start solving the pastpapers yearly, again. You'd most probably finish up the course in the school by that time.

Reaction score

It is good to start now!
If you've done add maths, P1 will be very easy.

I suggest if you have ample time, why not wrap up P1 and study either S1 or P1 and get rid of it in november, it will help you in june when you can give more time to other subjects!

Reaction score
Well, you should enjoy your vacations. You've just finished your O levels, get some rest man. A levels is tough, but you get 9 months to study for AS. As for completing the AS syllabus by July, believe me, it is close to impossible. The syllabi is huge and covering it in a month or 2 is impossible. Just relax, chill, have fun, go out with your friends and party because you will be asking for these parties next year. I tried to do what you're talking about, but it didn't work. I started studying from July and wanted to finish the syllabus for each subject by the end of August but I couldn't. Also, these vacations are your rejuvenation time, energize yourself.

If you really want to study then start studying from the end of July and study the first 2 topics of Chemistry and Physics(if you're a science student otherwise any equivalent) and study maths M1. M1 is really hard and if you're a commerce student, you will find it even more hard because of the lack of physics concepts so it will help you a lot to study it in August. Just try capturing the main concepts of the topics and try not going into the past papers before your school year even begins. But my opinion is for you to let off some steam and enjoy your vacations. You'll be studying next year and the time January onwards is the toughest time of your life because you have to balance the year-end school parties/functions and your studies. I have heard of people who start studying in January and still get straight As as they work their butt off in those 4 months before the exams while not overburdening themselves all year. They just revise their concepts they were taught, study for the tests and then the midyears and that is it. That is what they do before Jan but after that, they're studying, like really hard. So, you know, get a grip on yourself. Have fun in your vacations. You'll be asking for them the whole year ;)