• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Small problem in 9709_w07_qp_3

Reaction score
See in ques 7 on page 3...

Code:
http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_w07_qp_3.pdf

how do we decide whether we keep the calculator in radian mode or degree mode?

Reaction score
and i am unable to do part (iii) of this question 7 aswell.. can someone shed some light onit aswell?

Reaction score
http://ask.metafilter.com/85719/Why-do-we-use-radians

i hope this helps in understanding why we use radians....
other than circles....we use it when we arent dealing with any dimensions...thats what i understood from this link...
and in this question 7...population of insects is to be calculated..which is dimensionless...so maybe thats why we have to solve in radians..!!

Reaction score
For part iii) here's the solution...

rearrange the equation obtained in part i) ln N = 50ksin(0.02t) + ln 125

bring all the terms with "ln" on one side... ln N - ln 125 = 50ksin(0.02t)
apply log rules...this will become...ln (N/125)=50ksin(0.02t)
convert it into index form....

N/125 = e^(50ksin(0.02t))

put the value of k calculated in part ii) and you'll get.... N/125 = e^(0.5sin90.02t))
shift 125 to the other side so as to make N the subject and obtain final answer...

N = 125e^(0.5sin90.02t))

for the least value...put the term with "sin" equal to -1...as it is its least value..
and solve...
N = 125e^(0.5 x (-1))
N = 75.8
thts the least value of N!

Reaction score
thanx guys.. still not clear with the radians concept though... so is it like.. if its not mentioned to do in degrees we do it in radians?

Reaction score
not really...generally we do it in degrees, if nothing specific is mentioned..
in this particular question no dimensions were taken into account...and a population cant be measured in degrees...so it had to be in radians...just read the question carefully and then decide which one to use...radians or degrees....!