• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

SOCIOLOGY HELP (new to it)

Reaction score
So Im thinking of giving socio privately in MayJune of 2014.

Im self studying it and reading books of Ken Brown and Stephan Moore. So I need help pleasee.
Umm so should i join tuitions? I think i'll join them a month or so before the cie as its not that hard. But please, i need guidance as Im self studyingg.

So how should i study it? Like from where should i start, how should i practice and all?
Please please, help.. All answers appreciated :)

God Bless

And to anyoneee who is studying the subject or has studied it;
since you've given the paper and know so much about it, I was wondering if you could help me with how I should learn, what to learn and where to start off and the paper pattern etc? I know its alot to be asking for but I really need the help and would be so grateful :) Im selfstudying and have alot of interest in the subject as well but don't know how to start properly studying, like the paper pattern etc so I really really need help :( Im giving it in Mayjune
I wanted to ask if you would be kind enough to help me with this? :/ Like kik me or something or email?reply please, xx

Reaction score
I am studying from Ken Brown and Stephen Moore, too.
But i feel that Stephen Moore has less information, and some parts are missing.
Ken Brown is better, but it's too lengthy.

I'm just simply reading stuff.
The Family Chapter, Power and Authority, Research Methods, Culture and Socialization.
Have a look at the syllabus, for the paper pattern.
Paper 1 and Paper 2; 4 units for each paper.
It sounds easy.
Lots of choice.

And I feel that this subject, is quiet easy. It can be done with self-study.

Reaction score

Im self studying it and reading books of Ken Brown and Stephan Moore. So I need help pleasee.
Umm so should i join tuitions? I think i'll join them a month or so before the cie as its not that hard. But please, i need guidance as Im self studyingg.

So how should i study it? Like from where should i start, how should i practice and all?

God Bless

since you've given the paper and know so much about it, I was wondering if you could help me with how I should learn, what to learn and where to start off and the paper pattern etc? I know its alot to be asking for but I really need the help and would be so grateful :) Im selfstudying and have alot of interest in the subject as well but don't know how to start properly studying, like the paper pattern etc so I really really need help :( Im giving it in Mayjune
I wanted to ask if you would be kind enough to help me with this? :/ Like kik me or something or email?reply please, xx

i considered takin it about a month ago but then i saw the xtremly long syllabus nd itni moti buk nd i ws like no way!! but i've heard dat its hard 2 study without tuition so bttr 2 take it...

Reaction score

God Bless

For Doubts
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/sociology-post-your-doubts-here.11736/
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/o-level-sociology.2781/

Hope This Helps :)
http://www.sociologyguide.com/
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/verbigerate/sociology.html
http://tutor2u.net/sociology/gcse-sociology.html

Reaction score
Hey Guys..... The candidates studying privately, you guys should try studying from LETTS it is an amazing book it isn't lengthy and explains everything very easily!!!
For anymore assistance ask me I am a school candidate and will try my best to help you guys out!!!:)

Reaction score

God Bless

The first thing you need to do is start and finish with research methodology it is a compulsory section in paper 1 and the only section in which you can gain full marks otherwise in no other section you are awarded full marks!!!
Secondly, you should have amazing control over English as that will help you in understanding the question and answering it up to the mark!
learn the Marxist and functionalist theories by heart as they have to be quoted in every question's past (d) EXCEPT in research!!! in research you are not suppose to quote any theories!!

Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is start and finish with research methodology it is a compulsory section in paper 1 and the only section in which you can gain full marks otherwise in no other section you are awarded full marks!!!
Secondly, you should have amazing control over English as that will help you in understanding the question and answering it up to the mark!
learn the Marxist and functionalist theories by heart as they have to be quoted in every question's past (d) EXCEPT in research!!! in research you are not suppose to quote any theories!!

Is it compulsory to quote the theories?
And are those theories in some specific chapter? What are they about?

Reaction score
Is it compulsory to quote the theories?
And are those theories in some specific chapter? What are they about?
yes it is always compulsory to quote the theories in part d only!!! in no other part are you supposed to mention the theories!!!
you will find them in the intro!!! marxist say everything that is anything is controlled by the bourgeoisie and functionalist argue that no it is a meritocratic society and what ever someone achieves is through his educations and capability not social class!!!
these are the bases of sociology

Reaction score
yes it is always compulsory to quote the theories in part d only!!! in no other part are you supposed to mention the theories!!!
you will find them in the intro!!! marxist say everything that is anything is controlled by the bourgeoisie and functionalist argue that no it is a meritocratic society and what ever someone achieves is through his educations and capability not social class!!!
these are the bases of sociology

OMG! Khunshaw is that you? Remember me? Taha Noman, Your ex class mate. Kaisii ho?? :D

Reaction score
OMG! Khunshaw is that you? Remember me? Taha Noman, Your ex class mate. Kaisii ho?? :D

hahahaha......... Yeah how can I forget you!!! You came in class 9 and went away after a year!!!:p
I'm great.. How are you??:)

Reaction score
Chalo, Meet you guys at the farewell. And Ps. Itna nahi parha karo, You will fail. -_-

nice philosophy dude..... BTW I heard you got good grades in CIE... Is that true???
And are you coming to the farewell?? And where are you studying nowadays???

Reaction score
Hey Guys..... The candidates studying privately, you guys should try studying from LETTS it is an amazing book it isn't lengthy and explains everything very easily!!!
For anymore assistance ask me I am a school candidate and will try my best to help you guys out!!!:)
AsA , i see this post is very old however if u could let me know which are the best books to study socio from other than ken brown ,that would be really nice of you .
JazakAllah khair

Reaction score
AsA , i see this post is very old however if u could let me know which are the best books to study socio from other than ken brown ,that would be really nice of you .
JazakAllah khair
I just gave my Sociology paper for O levels in the May/June session using Ken Brown and Letts!!