• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Sociology paper 1, anyone? I hope I'm not the only one doing it..

Hov

Reaction score
I have this feeling that I'm the only human doing sociology, so please prove me wrong mates.
The exam is in 3 days & I don't know how to prepare for it, so please try replying ASAP. Thank you.

Reaction score
I have this feeling that I'm the only human doing sociology, so please prove me wrong mates.
The exam is in 3 days & I don't know how to prepare for it, so please try replying ASAP. Thank you.

I take sociology too. only 5 students in my school take sociology this year :p
for paper 1, focus really well on research methods.
tip: always develop your answer. in 4 mark questions, you write 2 points and develop each. in 6 mark questions, 3 points minimum. in 8 mark questions, 4 points. make sure your development is at least 2-3 lines. always write an argument and balance your answer in an 8 mark questions. also write a conclusion with your opinion 3-4 lines.
& good luck. hope we do well.
Oh and revise from other past papers 'cause questions are repeated (;

Hov

Reaction score
hope i'm not late :|
Better late than never mate :p
Anyway I don't think I'll have any problem with it as a whole (hopefully), but most probably I won't know any definition as there's no time to memorize all of them.
The good thing about sociology is that 70% of it has to do with general information, I think.

Reaction score
For definitions, use your own words if you can't memorize them. Write what you understand and give an example to gain the 2 marks :) and use theories in 8 mark questions (marxists, functionalists, nature VS nurture, etc)
Yepp, it's general knowledge + english skills :p

Reaction score
you might want to go through your notes and some past papers. Do you have any links that i can get some notes on research methods?? :)

Reaction score
i am writing this exm tomowwow 2 !!
but a bit nervous bcoz i did't studied in depth......just did some past papers !!
BTW can anyine tell me what is nature and nuture theory ??
N BEST OF LUCK FOR 2MORROW :D

Hov

Reaction score
Mate, I did absolutely nothing but reading some methodology-related questions and a bit about the stratification topic, and I'm VERY optimistic about tomorrow.
I've always liked subjects like these where your English is the thing you need most; That's why I got an A in Business without studying half of the syllabus. :p
Anyway good luck tomorrow buddies; And we can discuss the paper tomorrow after we're done on this forum!
PS: Nature has to do with biological factors, whereas nurture has to do with what you LEARN through socialization and the influence of society.

Reaction score
I take sociology too. only 5 students in my school take sociology this year :p
for paper 1, focus really well on research methods.
tip: always develop your answer. in 4 mark questions, you write 2 points and develop each. in 6 mark questions, 3 points minimum. in 8 mark questions, 4 points. make sure your development is at least 2-3 lines. always write an argument and balance your answer in an 8 mark questions. also write a conclusion with your opinion 3-4 lines.
& good luck. hope we do well.
Oh and revise from other past papers 'cause questions are repeated (;

can you please clear my doubt im planning to do sociology in oct/nov papers so can i do self study for it in 3 months and be able to get a* and a without any help of tutor and which book should i study from
pls suggest the best book to study from
pls answer my doubt

Reaction score
Mate, I did absolutely nothing but reading some methodology-related questions and a bit about the stratification topic, and I'm VERY optimistic about tomorrow.
I've always liked subjects like these where your English is the thing you need most; That's why I got an A in Business without studying half of the syllabus. :p
Anyway good luck tomorrow buddies; And we can discuss the paper tomorrow after we're done on this forum!
PS: Nature has to do with biological factors, whereas nurture has to do with what you LEARN through socialization and the influence of society.

can you please clear my doubt im planning to do sociology in oct/nov papers so can i do self study for it in 3 months and be able to get a* and a without any help of tutor and which book should i study from
pls answer my doubt

Reaction score
i am writing this exm tomowwow 2 !!
but a bit nervous bcoz i did't studied in depth......just did some past papers !!
BTW can anyine tell me what is nature and nuture theory ??
N BEST OF LUCK FOR 2MORROW :D

pls answer my doubt

Reaction score
pls answer my doubt
well u can study urself but u may not get an A* if u r an average student.....but if u r a good student then u can easily get A* bcoz sociology is very easy......u can get alot of examples frm ur daily life.......mostl question are repeated but may b u need a tutor for some topics but rest is all easy....i myself didn't even studies for last 1 year but still expecting A !! so its easy u can

Reaction score
pls answer my doubt

you can study from the Active Sociology for GCSE by Jonathan Blundell, that's what we're having :)

Hov

Reaction score
pls answer my doubt
I studied from "Sociology for GCSE by Pauline Wilson & Allan Kidd", it's a great book.
& yes, you can get a good mark in it without tutoring but you should take it seriously and try to finish the syllabus as soon as you can; I took the exam today without being given any help from tutors & it went fine.

Reaction score
I studied from "Sociology for GCSE by Pauline Wilson & Allan Kidd", it's a great book.
& yes, you can get a good mark in it without tutoring but you should take it seriously and try to finish the syllabus as soon as you can; I took the exam today without being given any help from tutors & it went fine.

thanks a lot