• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Some Queries about English

Reaction score
I had some questions regarding English
The first one is that what sort of vocabulary do u have to use in creative writings? And are u allowed to repeat words from the text when answering comprehension questions? How many contents points should you take out of the text; 15 or more? And should their distribution be equal ie about 7 in both?

Reaction score
The vocabulary used should not be very simple, nor should it be very complicated. In the comprehension part, you can use text from the passage as long as the question does not specifically ask for an answer in your own words. For the summary, you have to take out 15 content points, but I took out 18, just so if I get one wrong, the other will make up for it. The ideal distribution should be 8 and 7, or 7 and 8.

Reaction score
The vocabulary used should not be very simple, nor should it be very complicated. In the comprehension part, you can use text from the passage as long as the question does not specifically ask for an answer in your own words. For the summary, you have to take out 15 content points, but I took out 18, just so if I get one wrong, the other will make up for it. The ideal distribution should be 8 and 7, or 7 and 8.
only first 15 are checked if u read the examiner report.

Reaction score
only first 15 are checked if u read the examiner report.
I agree. ;)
-
Number 1: If any "one" get's wrong from the first 15, you will lose a mark but that doesn't means the extra point you wrote (if correct) will gain you the mark. :p -----> That's why O-Level/IGCSE/A-Level is very tough & is a very hard trainer! It basically trains you to be correct in the very first shot. ;)
-

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Plus, how con I improve my ideas in creative writing? Not by watching movies or reading novels since there is not much time for this. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Plus, how con I improve my ideas in creative writing? Not by watching movies or reading novels since there is not much time for this. Any ideas?
I'm afraid there's no other way than to read a lot of material.

Reaction score
Plus, do we have to write the word count for both compositions and summary and are u penalized by the examiner for not sticking to the word limit in directed and creative writing?

Reaction score
Plus, do we have to write the word count for both compositions and summary and are u penalized by the examiner for not sticking to the word limit in directed and creative writing?
examiners say that we never count the words. word limit is given so that the students have an idea. we get our marks by assessment objectives. if we get good marks in them, it does not matter we have crossed the limit or we wrote less. but don't exceed it too much. don't write 200 for 300 or 900 for 600 ;)

Reaction score
examiners say that we never count the words. word limit is given so that the students have an idea. we get our marks by assessment objectives. if we get good marks in them, it does not matter we have crossed the limit or we wrote less. but don't exceed it too much. don't write 200 for 300 or 900 for 600 ;)
Could you tell me a source where I could learn some good expressions to write in creative writing task ?

Reaction score
Could you tell me a source where I could learn some good expressions to write in creative writing task ?
i m also looking for some good site which has good expressions. if u get please tell me as well.

Reaction score
First of all, if you exceed the words limit( or point limit) It will be you own disadvantage as the time is wasted. Secondly, use any vocabulary you like. There is no such thing as simple or complex, if its right, then it is. However, one thing to remember is to only right the British Vocab. Since American Vocab is sometimes penalized. If you think a little about the topic, you will find the ideas. Because the topics you get is always related to one's life. Check out any English Past paper if you like. There won't be any topic which any one can't think of. However just know that you are not the pro. You just have to prove you can write in correct grammatical and sensible manner! :)

Reaction score
I told her what I did, and I got an A* on my paper too.

how did you prepare for english? and can you please tell me how to write an informal letter, it always confuses me on what type of tone i should apply?

Reaction score
how did you prepare for english? and can you please tell me how to write an informal letter, it always confuses me on what type of tone i should apply?
I read some texts from newspapers and the internet. To ace your english paper, you have to use correct grammar and tenses. They dont expect you to use complex vocabulary, and at the same time you should not use vocabulary that a 4th grader might use. What this means is that you should use good words that fit in the sentence instead of just dumping any good word you can think of. Never mix your past, present and future tenses. Sometimes you mix your tenses without even knowing it. As for the informal letter, just follow the format. You should use a friendly tone as compared to the serious tone used in formal letters. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

Reaction score
I read some texts from newspapers and the internet. To ace your english paper, you have to use correct grammar and tenses. They dont expect you to use complex vocabulary, and at the same time you should not use vocabulary that a 4th grader might use. What this means is that you should use good words that fit in the sentence instead of just dumping any good word you can think of. Never mix your past, present and future tenses. Sometimes you mix your tenses without even knowing it. As for the informal letter, just follow the format. You should use a friendly tone as compared to the serious tone used in formal letters. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

thanks! :) but in informal letters i don't how to be friendly :confused: if i do it sounds too revised and overfamiliar.

Reaction score
Do we have to write word count at end of compositions and summary? Does the box given under the summary for word count have to be filled? And can I write places in my writing like Anarkali etc.?