• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Someone explain AS maths S1 and M1 pls :/

Reaction score
I am just having confusions over this thing. I know M1 is science stuff and S1 is statistics. The prime question is that does M1, S1 etc matter when applying to university or applying for equivalence to IBCC?

Reaction score
M1 is maths and physics...S1 is statistics(probability etc).. M1 and S1 are one of the combinations you can give along with Pure math components (they are given in the syllabus) and you have to give one of the combinations to get a final A level grade...so indirectly, it does matter when applying for IBCC or uni...

Reaction score
I am not sure if you get my point.

I know that in order to get the full A level qualification, I will have to give either one of them. The question is like if I dont give M1, and I give S1 instead, will it be considered the same? Do I have to give M1 in order to get into engineering university or S1 will do it?

Reaction score
I am not sure if you get my point.

I know that in order to get the full A level qualification, I will have to give either one of them. The question is like if I dont give M1, and I give S1 instead, will it be considered the same? Do I have to give M1 in order to get into engineering university or S1 will do it?
if you will do engineering then stick with M1 and M2 and that is if you are doing the full A level not just AS but if u r doing AS only then do AS M1 it will help u a lot with your engineering course

Reaction score
its the same thing..its not like one combination is superior to another and no one asks you which combination you have given..its just a matter of personal preference..all that matters in the end is your grade..and no, you can give S1 and S2 if you don't like mechanics but M1 and S1 is considered a better combination

Reaction score
Look, when you get your A Level certificate, it won't have any information about which combination you gave, so any university cannot possibly know which combination you chose. Maybe if they contact CIE they might be able to find out but I don't think CIE gives out information to external institutions, also besides this, I don't think any university cares which components you took for Mathematics A Level unless you take P2 instead P3 which is a whole different case. So choose whatever you find easy, usually the easiest is to give S1+M1 and it's actually good because you get an idea about both subjects.