• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Starting AS levels

Reaction score
I haven't studies any commerce subject like accounting, business and economics in o' levels but i'm willing to study em in a' levels
is it possible for me to do that? or are the subjects dependent on previous knowledge like in sciences?

Reaction score
Seriously speaking, A level Chemistry and Physics are really hard, and if you have Accel. Maths, you'll really have problems managing all these subjects, and then you'll have to study these subjects. I would ask you to give Accounting or BS but not ECO as Eco is really hard, it is rated as the 3rd hardest subject by CIE, below Further Maths and Chemistry(my chemistry sir told me this, I don't know if it's true or not)

Reaction score
Well I have accelerated maths of-course plus i have chemistry, physics and biology too. Plus i'll probably go for further maths in A2. God help me :p
Acha, now the problem is k I haven't done anything related to business, accounts and economics. I was thinking if i can study any one of them too even if i haven't done them in o' levels?

Reaction score
Well I have accelerated maths of-course plus i have chemistry, physics and biology too. Plus i'll probably go for further maths in A2. God help me :p
Acha, now the problem is k I haven't done anything related to business, accounts and economics. I was thinking if i can study any one of them too even if i haven't done them in o' levels?
leave CIE and go for AP or IB or else u will be disappointed when ur results come out :eek:

Reaction score
In eco and bs u don't need any prior o level knowledge since everything is explained from scratch... So u shouldn't have a prob in them! the cie syllabus states this too that u don't need any prior knowledge..my brother managed to get an a in eco although he was a pure sci student in o level.. I don't know much about accounts though

Reaction score

I'd suggest Business as it's fairly an easy subject. I've done both IGCSE and AS-Level past papers at school and I've noticed that the AS paper is a bit easier as the mark schemes are less restrictive. Also, it's easy to get a grasp of the basic concepts as it's mostly just logical thinking. I wouldn't recommend Eco as it is indeed one of the hardest subjects (haven't done it but my friends who do Eco tell me that). It's more sophisticated and structured than business, and also more technical.

Reaction score
Well my friend A levels now!! aren't trustworthy I'm serious this year in 20 damn years the percentage of people who usually get A's fell down by 7 %, students were shocked especially this year moreover you don't want to enter depression mode after you get you're AS level results and put yourself in a crap situation were not only you need a shovel but 2 shovels!?, take IB's very good qualification especially if you're aiming for Canada and America, even Tony Blair said the IB exams must be introduced to every school in the UK as an opt. for qualification, CIE is very difficult only a handful get B's and A's even a C would require a spree of non-stop hard work what I'm saying is there are other exams to take, open up you're options A levels aren't the only exams in the world, but if you want you must sacrifice friends, facebook etc.. basically you're social life and even if you do you might still not get the grades :unsure:, talk to someone ask questions the number one mistake students do is they focus in one path and when they realized they have failed they get crushed and blame the world for their failiure and develop horrible attitudes, and suck up for rechecks and authority which is degrading and disgusting and a potential crusher, but anyways this is you and whatever you choose look through the stats. pass and fail, see what you can do to make you an excellent student, Good Luck.

Reaction score
Don't take Business or Accounting, they're not well recognised subjects. However, Economics is very well respected and I would highly recommend it.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't take both Economics AND Business due to the significant curricula overlap between the two. Most Universities won't even recognise your Business grade if you took Economics too.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help :)
And well I've probably decided to go for economics then cuz it seems challenging :cool: Plus I'm taking Further maths and chemistry both so Economics is less harder than the two so I'd go for it :p
And The King XII, I really appreciate the advice but I think I'm kinda decided about A levels now and as I got good grades in O levels, I think I can work harder and get good grades in A levels too. And as for IB, I searched it up and was really impressed, the challenge, the broad knowledge, the requirement of student to practically learn things and apply them! It all seemed really interesting but I don't know, something deep inside me tells me to go for A levels as IB is a new thing and apparently not so common up till now :\ Plus I've got a good scholarship and all in A levels so I wouldn't change the system now. Plus I'm positive that I'll be able to ace A levels. God helps me everytime :)

Reaction score
Economics isn't as hard as you guys make it sound - at least that's what my principal told me. She said its an easy to score subject so I'm going to take it as a social science.