• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Tests for acid and alkaline? Biology Paper 6.

Reaction score
Could someone help me out with the tests for acidity and alkalinity? Not in my book. Was reading that it's important. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
using litmus paper ... it will turn red if acid .... and blue if it alkali !

Reaction score
hydrogencarbonate indicator, red neutral, yellow acid and purple akaline.

Also PH meter or universal indicator, turning yellow/red acid, green neutral and purple/blue alkaline

Reaction score
if they want a specific value u could use universal indicator which i gues is more widely used in bio?

Reaction score
but remember, hydrogen carbonate measures the ph level by measuring the level of CO2 in a solution, if a solution has alot of CO2 then it's acidic and hydrogen carbonate will turn the solution to yellow, the opposite changes the solution to red and that means it's basic.

Reaction score
Cozmo35d said:
but remember, hydrogen carbonate measures the ph level by measuring the level of CO2 in a solution, if a solution has alot of CO2 then it's acidic and hydrogen carbonate will turn the solution to yellow, the opposite changes the solution to red.

i think it will become purple when it is high in carbon dioxide but anyway i think they provide that in the exam :)

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
Cozmo35d said:
but remember, hydrogen carbonate measures the ph level by measuring the level of CO2 in a solution, if a solution has alot of CO2 then it's acidic and hydrogen carbonate will turn the solution to yellow, the opposite changes the solution to red.

i think it will become purple when it is high in carbon dioxide but anyway i think they provide that in the exam :)
yeah they did in the mock, it's purple when the solution is neutral.