• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

This question is for pakistanis only! :)

Reaction score
I believe maximum people here in this forum are pakistanis. And this is really off topic not related to educational stuff. :)
So ummm here we go.......
I have heard some pakistanis especially the pathans and kasmiris calling your name like sanay though ur name is sana or emanay though your name is eman. They just add "ay" in it. I mean do you have any idea why they say so? I am just curious to know the actual reason. So hope you guys would know it. May be they say this to their dear ones or closest or someone they really love. Is that the reason or something else?

Reaction score
I'm a Pakistani and never heard anything like this before. So I'm not sure about that :)

Reaction score
I believe maximum people here in this forum are pakistanis. And this is really off topic not related to educational stuff. :)
So ummm here we go.......
I have heard some pakistanis especially the pathans and kasmiris calling your name like sanay though ur name is sana or emanay though your name is eman. They just add "ay" in it. I mean do you have any idea why they say so? I am just curious to know the actual reason. So hope you guys would know it. May be they say this to their dear ones or closest or someone they really love. Is that the reason or something else?
I think its just a pathan dialect. They pronounce names with 'a' at the end, but if your name ends in 'a' already, then they don't extend it.

Reaction score
I think its just a pathan dialect. They pronounce names with 'a' at the end, but if your name ends in 'a' already, then they don't extend it.

You are right. but like even there are some names like shakeel or sana...they would still say shakeelay or sanay....I think its cz they use this as nick names for people who they adore or something. isnt it?

Reaction score
Doesn't it itself refers to a strong bond between two people, you won't find a kashmiri or anybody, talk to some acquaintance in such manner. This is our way of calling our close friends as we normally try to avoid name calling. Well, its fun. XD

Reaction score
Doesn't it itself refers to a strong bond between two people, you won't find a kashmiri or anybody, talk to some acquaintance in such manner. This is our way of calling our close friends as we normally try to avoid name calling. Well, its fun. XD

Ahan I got your point hahaha u mean to say that they dont call such names normally to people but to the ones they consider as their loved ones or closed ones. Right? :)

Reaction score

No but I dont think they use it for name calling though. I mean I think they use it as nick names for their dear ones .