• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Urdu Second Language Query

Reaction score
My question is about the word limit. On the paper it is stated 150 for directed writing, 200 for letter etc and 100 for the summary. But my teachers recommends to write 190 for directed writing, 220 for letter etc and 110 for summary. He states that he has been told this in his workshops and this is because cie doesnt count small words in their word limit. I am really confused about what to do in m/j 14 exam. Tell me what have you been told about the word limit

Reaction score
hey I am also giving the exam and was confused about the same thing..from what I've read from other people's tips and from the books , your teacher seems to be right..1 because he was told that in the workshop ,so cant be wrong. Another student was also saying that his/ her teacher told them CIE doesn't count two lettered words , e.g. wo , do , ye , and so on. SO its been seconded and also if u count the number of words in the examples given in the books they exceed that limit.
Besides I don't think the examiner would count every single word , they usually count the no of on the first line and multiply it with the number of lines...
Also check out this thread , it might help you.
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/urdu-as-a-second-lang-help.14653/

Reaction score
hey I am also giving the exam and was confused about the same thing..from what I've read from other people's tips and from the books , your teacher seems to be right..1 because he was told that in the workshop ,so cant be wrong. Another student was also saying that his/ her teacher told them CIE doesn't count two lettered words , e.g. wo , do , ye , and so on. SO its been seconded and also if u count the number of words in the examples given in the books they exceed that limit.
Besides I don't think the examiner would count every single word , they usually count the no of on the first line and multiply it with the number of lines...
Also check out this thread , it might help you.
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/urdu-as-a-second-lang-help.14653/
So basically you exceed the no of words as your teacher said , if your counting all the words, but if u exclude the two lettered words its probably in the word limit.

Reaction score
My question is about the word limit. On the paper it is stated 150 for directed writing, 200 for letter etc and 100 for the summary. But my teachers recommends to write 190 for directed writing, 220 for letter etc and 110 for summary. He states that he has been told this in his workshops and this is because cie doesnt count small words in their word limit. I am really confused about what to do in m/j 14 exam. Tell me what have you been told about the word limit
Hey, well my teacher has told us the same thing but she has said this for only the directed writing that we can exceed to 190 words but I'm not sure about the others. For summary we have to be restricted to a 100 words only.

Reaction score
You should keep a record of the average words you write in a line. While counting them, skip the words کے ، کہ ، کآ etc , calculate how much lines would take to complete the composition in correspondence with the word limit and mark the spot where you think you will have finished your composition. For example, I write 10 words on average per line and complete my composition in 15 lines for Directed Writing and 20 lines for Letter, Report etc. This way you can save time without worrying about the word limit. For summary, you are restricted 100 words, including کے ، کہ ، کآ etc. Above this limit, negative marking starts.

Reaction score
You should keep a record of the average words you write in a line. While counting them, skip the words کے ، کہ ، کآ etc , calculate how much lines would take to complete the composition in correspondence with the word limit and mark the spot where you think you will have finished your composition. For example, I write 10 words on average per line and complete my composition in 15 lines for Directed Writing and 20 lines for Letter, Report etc. This way you can save time without worrying about the word limit. For summary, you are restricted 100 words, including کے ، کہ ، کآ etc. Above this limit, negative marking starts.

Wow guys this is an awesome news...until an hour back i was confused with my words limits..no its alright..but i have a qstn...

we have a choice between the two qstns in part 2..so i wanted to know is it ok if i practice mukalama and letter leaving speech and report?

bcoz so far i have seen this pair

mukalama or report
khat or taqreer
mukalama or khat..

they didnt give taqreeer and report together..so i was wondering whether it would be alright if i can leave both bcoz i heard both of them have high chances of losing marks.. if my way is not correct plz can anyone of u help me..only a week to go..May Allah help us......ya rab

Reaction score
Wow guys this is an awesome news...until an hour back i was confused with my words limits..no its alright..but i have a qstn...

we have a choice between the two qstns in part 2..so i wanted to know is it ok if i practice mukalama and letter leaving speech and report?

bcoz so far i have seen this pair

mukalama or report
khat or taqreer
mukalama or khat..

they didnt give taqreeer and report together..so i was wondering whether it would be alright if i can leave both bcoz i heard both of them have high chances of losing marks.. if my way is not correct plz can anyone of u help me..only a week to go..May Allah help us......ya rab
Leave Speech and do the rest. You never know what they can give you.
For Report write as if you were at the event. Write as if as the examiner reads your Report, a scene is made in his mind. Do not give your own opinion and write even the minor things for example "دائيں جانب شامیانے لگے ہوۓ تھے" etc. You have to take every thing into consideration. When you write a line, you have to consider if it's making sense or not and not sounding fake. For example, if you are writing about an event, let's say, a marriage, you have to first state that you went in and then saw the whole environment. Don't forget to write the date, time and place when starting the report.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For Report write as if you were at the event. Write as if as the examiner reads your Report, a scene is made in his mind. Do not give your own opinion and write even the minor things for example "دائيں جانب شامیانے لگے ہوۓ تھے" etc. You have to take every thing into consideration. When you write a line, you have to consider if it's making sense or not and not sounding fake. For example, if you are writing about an event, let's say, a marriage, you have to first state that you went in and then saw the whole environment. Don't forget to write the date, time and place when starting the report.

Thanks dude!
however can u please please give me an example of the beginning of report..and make sure it applies to all the patterns..You may take this topic..
You saw a bomb blast scene...describe it!

Reaction score
Thanks dude!
however can u please please give me an example of the beginning of report..and make sure it applies to all the patterns..You may take this topic..
You saw a bomb blast scene...describe it!
I'd say you do it yourself because I won't be there in the examination hall to tell you. I can only give you instructions. In case of a bomb blast scene first state, for example, "On 7 May 2014 a blast happened on Faisal Road. I was done shopping and sat in my car when suddenly I heard a loud noise. I came out of the car and saw *Insert scene of something that happens after a bomb blast*. I'm not giving an example because that increases your dependency on other people to help you.

Reaction score
I'd say you do it yourself because I won't be there in the examination hall to tell you. I can only give you instructions. In case of a bomb blast scene first state, for example, "On 7 May 2014 a blast happened on Faisal Road. I was done shopping and sat in my car when suddenly I heard a loud noise. I came out of the car and saw *Insert scene of something that happens after a bomb blast*. I'm not giving an example because that increases your dependency on other people to help you.
oh thanks alot...ya sure u wont be there but ur help will be with me...Thanks i got wat i wanted....any help?

Reaction score
Please would somebody tell me the correct format and way to write a report and speech in urdu??

Reaction score
Please would somebody tell me the correct format and way to write a report and speech in urdu??
In report u have to start like on 27 may a blast happened on tiki road sab hairan or dare hue the.... Continue each and every scene what happened and all
For speech u r advise to start with a quote if u know or start as how we do in English eg. I am glad to stand in front of u all on this occasion and use muazaz samaeen frequently that's it

Reaction score
In report u have to start like on 27 may a blast happened on tiki road sab hairan or dare hue the.... Continue each and every scene what happened and all
For speech u r advise to start with a quote if u know or start as how we do in English eg. I am glad to stand in front of u all on this occasion and use muazaz samaeen frequently that's it
hey can u give tell me how to write a report on the following topic.
pechle dino aap ne apne ilaqe ki safai main hisa lia. Iss par apne school k risale k lye ek report likhye.
Its from the past paper of may-june 2013.

Reaction score
hey can u give tell me how to write a report on the following topic.
pechle dino aap ne apne ilaqe ki safai main hisa lia. Iss par apne school k risale k lye ek report likhye.
Its from the past paper of may-june 2013.
No year I am not practicing reports they r tough

Reaction score

how should i make my beginning of mazmoon more effective..and the 3 bullet points given...how should i begin them? pls help! do we really have to use the pure urdu words like danishwar for intelligent etc? and zarb-e-amsal can any one give me few words?

Reaction score
for me report...btw can u or someone tell me how do i make my mazmoon more effective? like please help in how to start?
Actually mazmoon is not that tough so u dont need to worry much about it... whatever the question is related to for example how important books are in our life, you have to give a background about it... That books help us in every step and aspect of our life. They are needed by us for us to excel etc.

Reaction score
Actually mazmoon is not that tough so u dont need to worry much about it... whatever the question is related to for example how important books are in our life, you have to give a background about it... That books help us in every step and aspect of our life. They are needed by us for us to excel etc.[/

Ya thats okay..but i need some lines and sentences that i should include before the bullet point..i cant start directly, can i ?
and do u guys have any guesses wat can the mazmoon be...which all mazmoon did u practice?

Reaction score
For a good start, compare the topic with another similar thing. For example, the topic is importance of natural resources for a country, the start can be like "As the human body needs nutrition, a country needs natural resources."