• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What Should I Do? (Choosing Medicine University)

Reaction score
Hey, I will really really appreciate your help on this.
My current grades are
O levels 6A*s 2As = 799/900 equivalence
AS level ABB (about to give A2 now. Will try to make the A into A* and the Bs to an A)
i have done zero prep for the MCAT test as A level itself is tough for me.
where and when should i start applying?
i aim for gov. universities... is it possible for me to get there? They have a really high marks requirement.
I am in Islamabad pakistan but i can apply anywhere in pakistan, as long as the university is less costly and reputable.
Please help. Thanks :)

Reaction score
I am a computer science student but I have picked up a few things from my AL medical hoping friends.

You'll have to improve those ALs for the really top places. Not really being rude or anything, but the MCAT is a really difficult thing in itself (especially for non-FSC students) and you want to give it with as many marks from ALs secured as possible. Anything below an A* hurts the equivalence and means something you have to cover up in the MCAT, which is something you want to avoid.

Doesn't seem like you can afford much, so Aga Khan(around 15lac a year) and CMH(idk, 6~ lac a year?) and most privates are out I think.
Government merit is beyond cutthroat. I am not discouraging here, but plenty of students from my school end up not doing well enough and going to privates or taking a gap year. I am not a medical guy but from what I have heard, King Edward merit is at the top but even the universities below that (2nd tier/middle tier/somewhere) are very close to it in terms of merit. By all means, try your heart out but be assured that getting into top reputable medical govt place is REALLY REALLY hard and you might work your socks off and still have nothing. Just tempering the expectations here.

Given the general income around Pakistan, most of the FSc students are not very affording as well and aim for private places. The MCAT is designed for these students, and the average FSc student works much harder and can memorize much more than the average AL student (cold, hard fact and nothing to be laughed at). Combine that with the fact they already have a head start in prep and you can get an idea of how huge the competition is.

However, despite how discouraging this sounds, PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP. People do make it. It's a tough road, but it is doable.

If you can, begin studying for the MCAT. But do not sacrifice your A Levels in that quest, try to improve all three grades. However, you are not behind. Most A Level students begin studying after A Level exams. Search the internet/ask seniors if you have questions on how to study for the MCAT, can't help you there.

The medical applying window starts after your A Levels end. I think MCAT happens around late August, and your first semester starts around December.

---------------------------

Just a thing, I do not know your definition of reputable so you might not have that high a requirement of the MCAT. All I know is that my friend told me last year that King Edward's merit is around 91%, Allama Iqbal 89%, Sheikh Zayed 85%. There is a gulf in repute but the merit is still pretty tight here. All these are from Lahore so idk about Islamabad.