• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Which is harder Chemistry CIE or Edxcel

Reaction score
I will do chemistry next year as an external candidate and have the option of both, tell me anything useful about CIE chemistry, like wording of questions, synoptic elements .........

Reaction score
CIE chemistry is harder, but if you have any intention to go to UK universities, do CIE, because if you do Edexcel sciences, they'll automatically reject you =(

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
CIE chemistry is harder, but if you have any intention to go to UK universities, do CIE, because if you do Edexcel sciences, they'll automatically reject you =(

Hope this helps.

This is wrong. I agree that CIE Chemistry is harder and more rigorous than Edexcel Chemistry. But it is not true that doing Edexcel sciences will not get you into any UK university. Edexcel and other similar national-based boards such as AQA and WJEC are taken by the vast majority of students in the UK (where CIE is very rarely taken), and these students have no trouble in getting into UK universities. From experience, I can tell you that UK universities do not care whether you did Edexcel or CIE; as far as they're concerned, an A Level in a subject is an A Level irrespective of the exam board. :)

Reaction score
This is wrong. I agree that CIE Chemistry is harder and more rigorous than Edexcel Chemistry. But it is not true that doing Edexcel sciences will not get you into any UK university. Edexcel and other similar national-based boards such as AQA and WJEC are taken by the vast majority of students in the UK (where CIE is very rarely taken), and these students have no trouble in getting into UK universities. From experience, I can tell you that UK universities do not care whether you did Edexcel or CIE; as far as they're concerned, an A Level in a subject is an A Level irrespective of the exam board. :)

But we're applying as international students, (I have assumed, since most people here are from the Middle East/South Asia).

And I've taken your statement of UK unis not caring about which board you've done with a grain of salt ;) My Chemistry teacher was part of the application process (he interviewed people) for a number of years, and he told me they do indeed classify people by the boards they've done, at least they have done so at Imperial uni.

Reaction score
But we're applying as international students, (I have assumed, since most people here are from the Middle East/South Asia).

And I've taken your statement of UK unis not caring about which board you've done with a grain of salt ;) My Chemistry teacher was part of the application process (he interviewed people) for a number of years, and he told me they do indeed classify people by the boards they've done, at least they have done so at Imperial uni.

Funny you should mention Imperial. I visited the admissions tutor for Chemical Engineering and, after asking him twice to confirm, he made clear that they do not distinguish between exam boards. I guess it really is a subjective issue, as different departments and admissions tutors will differ in opinion! Though one thing is the exam board(s) you do and another is whether you are a home/EU or international applicant; the latter they definitely do distinguish, due to government-imposed quotas and so forth.
I was just getting at the statement that doing Edexcel sciences will get you automatically rejected from any UK university - this, you have to admit, is not the case. A little caution, perhaps yes, perhaps no; but definitely not automatic rejection. :)

Reaction score
I will do chemistry next year as an external candidate and have the option of both, tell me anything useful about CIE chemistry, like wording of questions, synoptic elements .........
chem cie is more tough then edexcel but edexcel marking is wayy strict..i would say go for cie

Reaction score
Funny you should mention Imperial. I visited the admissions tutor for Chemical Engineering and, after asking him twice to confirm, he made clear that they do not distinguish between exam boards. I guess it really is a subjective issue, as different departments and admissions tutors will differ in opinion! Though one thing is the exam board(s) you do and another is whether you are a home/EU or international applicant; the latter they definitely do distinguish, due to government-imposed quotas and so forth.
I was just getting at the statement that doing Edexcel sciences will get you automatically rejected from any UK university - this, you have to admit, is not the case. A little caution, perhaps yes, perhaps no; but definitely not automatic rejection. :)

Haha yes, I'm a bit hardcore when it comes to different boards, especially when they're ALL profit motivated.