• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

a hard Biology question

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is one question that I think is pretty hard and is not explained anywhere in the book. I will put it as follows:

Which statements explain why injections of vaccine may not provide protection against Vibrio cholerae?
1, V.Cholerae bacteria infect the intestine
2. The toxin produced by V.cholerae acts within the intestine
3. A vaccine providing protection against one strain of V.cholerae may not provide protection against another strain.

I think only statement 3 is valid as 1 and 2 have nothing to do with vaccination, nevertheless my teacher says the answer is 1,2 and 3.

So... Guys please help if you know the reason behind, I sincerely appreciate your help!

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is one question that I think is pretty hard and is not explained anywhere in the book. I will put it as follows:

Which statements explain why injections of vaccine may not provide protection against Vibrio cholerae?
3. A vaccine providing protection against one strain of V.cholerae may not provide protection against another strain.

I think only statement 3 is valid as 1 and 2 have nothing to do with vaccination, nevertheless my teacher says the answer is 1,2 and 3.

So... Guys please help if you know the reason behind, I sincerely appreciate your help!
In my opinion, my answer is 1 only.
Because since the Vibro Cholrae lives only in the intestine, it's difficult for the antibodies to reach the pathogen, thus vaccination is useless in this case. (I've once read this piece of information before but can't remember where exactly tbh)

Reaction score

Hi, your teacher is correct. Here, this is from the Biology revision guide (pg 91: Global eradication of infectious diseases) and I think its pretty self-explanatory.

cholera.jpg