• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A* in english as first language (0500)

Reaction score
Well an A* in EFL coincides well with your ability to achieve each of the criteria listed in the grade descriptors for an A* ( I'll link it below). What I basically mean is, understanding what each paper requires from you and accordingly adjusting your writing. Well here's what I feel should be done for each paper. I really can't help you with the composition task in paper 3 unless you tell me which writing you're comfortable with.

Paper 3:-

- Well it's split up into two parts, the directed writing task and composition. For directed writing, it's along the lines of letters, reports etc. Whereas in the composition task, it's all based on what you're comfortable with. Mind you there are times where you might just find a topic you're extremely pleased with but it's a different field of writing. Like for example, you're used to descriptive writing but there's a topic that deals with argumentative writing that you really want to do because you're so good with it, in such cases you'd best decide which one you want.
- As far as getting an A* goes, the directed writing task consists of a good 20 to 25 marks out of the total 50 marks in the paper. 15 marks for content and 10 for the quality of your writing. Ok so to grab those 15 marks for content, you're required to find 15 points in the extract that match with what they want you to include. They will always give you a list of things they want you to include in your writing and your 15 points should relate to those. For the additional 10 marks that sits on the quality if your writing, It's about how you arrange the stuff. For example, is your writing; emotional, vocational. Is it structured, and by structured I mean the layout of your writing. Eg. Introduction, body 1, body 2 etc...
The quality is based strongly around how you as a writer add present the 15 points you got. Do you use figures of speech? Do you involve the reader? Do you ask questions?
To avail of the 25 marks, You absolutely have to take the points you've got and direct them at someone. Imagine yourself talking to someone and you want to really get them to understand those 15 points, that's basically what directed writing is all about.

Paper 2:-

- This paper is quite a pain, partially due to the language analysis bit. However it's quite simple once you understand what each task wants.

- Alright language analysis. Ok so the first thing you have to understand is that you're simply trying to understand what the writer was trying to say. I repeat, it is what you think he was trying to say. Not you coming to a conclusion on what he was actually trying to say. I doubt anyone could do that anyways.... Language analysis equals a total of 10 marks. Band 1 = 9-10 marks, Band 2 = 7-8 marks, and so on.. What I've been told by my teacher and what has worked for a while now is that 10 marks should generally be you picking out 10 words and phrases in the extract given to you to analyze. Remember these 10 words have to be things that you can easily find the meanings of. SO I RECOMMEND YOU START INCREASING YOUR VOCABULARY BANK RIGHT NOW. ( I'll link a site that helps, below)
Once you've got these 10 words and/or phrases, you simply write what they mean but let me show you how to present it. Lets say you got the phrase " threw no shadow on the floor ". First eliminate the subject, being the floor. Now the phrase is " Threw no shadow ". This phrase can obviously have a lot of meanings but here's what you got to do. Now throwing a shadow, doesn't that remind of you personification? Right so keep that in mind. No shadow means there's an absence of light but wait a minute, something has to be there go give a shadow so we backtrack a bit and we find that there's a bunch of figures who threw no shadow on the floor. NOW WE FINISHED ANALYZING THE PHRASE, TIME TO TELL THE READER WHAT WE THINK. This is how I would put it together.

-.... their figures "threw no shadow" on the floor, implies the absence of light to guide a shadow onto the floor and that their figures may not be affected by the presence of light.

Now then, lets see what we did here. We wrote what we understood but we wrote it as if we were telling it to ourselves," Implies the ...". We're using terms that we'd use in the analyzing part but this time to explain it to the reader.

^ Is how you pick up phrases or words, and explain them. You have to write it like you're explaining it to yourself but at the same time telling someone else. ANOTHER THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT YOUR WRITING HAS TO BE CREATIVE. IT HAS TO BE DIFFERENT FROM THAT PERSON SITTING IN FRONT OF YOU AND BEHIND YOU. Now you could be creative with the above phrase by saying stuff like: " The figures inability to shed a shadow suggests a paranormal presence, with its ability to throw a shadow being personified under bodily characteristics. " You see? how something simple like a shadow not being formed, can turn into something ridiculous and spooky? Well that's where you're supposed to be creative. REMEMBER, BE CREATIVE IN LANGUAGE ANALYSIS.

- From what I can recall, the second question in paper 2 is usually directed writing, so use what I said above...

- Now onto Summary writing. If I were to summarize everything I had written above in to one 5 words, ( Here are some helpful tips ), That's what it would be. In summary writing, 20 marks is divided into 15 for content and 5 for quality. Just like directed writing, in a summary, YOU HAVE TO PICK OUT 15 POINTS AND SUMMARIZE THEM, REGARDLESS IF THEY'RE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, AS LONG AS THEY RELATE TO WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SUMMARIZE, USE THEM. This is an area I used to lose marks in because I'd only pick the points that seemed good. That's wrong, you're meant to use both types of points and there has to be a maximum of 15 points.
- If the extract is say 200 words, your summary has to be a lot less than that, but don't worry, the question always tells you how many sides you can write on.
- DO NOT BE PERSONAL, DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR OPINIONS. DO NOT USE THE SAME WORDS IN THE EXTRACT, CHANGE THEM. If it says " There were a lot of cracks on the wall, with tiny crevices along the floor in many areas ", You're supposed to write it as " The wall and floor were painted in cracks, alike." YOU'RE ALLOWED TO ADD NEW WORDS JUST AS LONG AS THEIR NOT PERSONAL OR INVOLVE YOUR OPINION.
- Make sure that you have paragraphs, it adds to the 5 marks available for quality.

If you need anything else, PM me and I'll gladly help. Here are links to the Stuff mentioned above:

- http://www.vocabulary.com/ ( Trust me this site helps, Try to learn at least 2 words a day until your exam )

******************************************************************************************************************
To achieve a Grade A, a candidate will be able to:
• Understand and communicate information at both a straightforward and a complex level.
• Understand facts, ideas and opinions, and order and present in detail what is relevant for specific
purposes.
• Describe and reflect upon experience and detail, analyze effectively what is felt and what is imagined.
• Recognize implicit meanings and attitudes of a writer.
• Show a clear sense of audience and an understanding of appropriate uses of language.
• Write in well constructed paragraphs, using a full range of appropriate sentence structures, and show
accuracy in spelling and punctuation.
• Select and use appropriate spoken styles and registers. Candidates will vary their sentence structure,
vocabulary and expression confidently for a range of purposes, sustaining discussion through the use of
a variety of contributions, listening with sensitivity, and occasionally taking the initiative.

The funny thing is, for an A*, its all of the above + this :

- Candidates understand and communicate information at both a straightforward and a complex level.

******************************************************************************************************************

- http://www.cie.org.uk/images/163028-cambridge-learner-guide-for-igcse-first-language-english.pdf ( YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO READ THROUGH THIS )

You can choose to use what I've said above, or ignore it but it's what has got me to being around 3-4 marks away from an A* in total.

Good luck for the finals, I'm going to be sitting for them this year as well. :)

Reaction score
Hey thanks for that really long post, I also take english as a first language this year and those are some cool tips. I was wandering any tips on the speaking exam?

Reaction score

Attachments

• 0500_w13_in_32.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 0500_w13_in_22.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 0500_w13_in_33.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 0500_w13_in_31.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 0500_w13_in_21.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 0500_w13_in_23.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 0500_w13_ms_31.pdf
    116 KB · Views: 5
  • 0500_w13_ms_32.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 0500_w13_ms_22.pdf
    123.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 0500_w13_ms_33.pdf
    120.5 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Well an A* in EFL coincides well with your ability to achieve each of the criteria listed in the grade descriptors for an A* ( I'll link it below). What I basically mean is, understanding what each paper requires from you and accordingly adjusting your writing. Well here's what I feel should be done for each paper. I really can't help you with the composition task in paper 3 unless you tell me which writing you're comfortable with.

Paper 3:-

- Well it's split up into two parts, the directed writing task and composition. For directed writing, it's along the lines of letters, reports etc. Whereas in the composition task, it's all based on what you're comfortable with. Mind you there are times where you might just find a topic you're extremely pleased with but it's a different field of writing. Like for example, you're used to descriptive writing but there's a topic that deals with argumentative writing that you really want to do because you're so good with it, in such cases you'd best decide which one you want.
- As far as getting an A* goes, the directed writing task consists of a good 20 to 25 marks out of the total 50 marks in the paper. 15 marks for content and 10 for the quality of your writing. Ok so to grab those 15 marks for content, you're required to find 15 points in the extract that match with what they want you to include. They will always give you a list of things they want you to include in your writing and your 15 points should relate to those. For the additional 10 marks that sits on the quality if your writing, It's about how you arrange the stuff. For example, is your writing; emotional, vocational. Is it structured, and by structured I mean the layout of your writing. Eg. Introduction, body 1, body 2 etc...
The quality is based strongly around how you as a writer add present the 15 points you got. Do you use figures of speech? Do you involve the reader? Do you ask questions?
To avail of the 25 marks, You absolutely have to take the points you've got and direct them at someone. Imagine yourself talking to someone and you want to really get them to understand those 15 points, that's basically what directed writing is all about.

Paper 2:-

- This paper is quite a pain, partially due to the language analysis bit. However it's quite simple once you understand what each task wants.

- Alright language analysis. Ok so the first thing you have to understand is that you're simply trying to understand what the writer was trying to say. I repeat, it is what you think he was trying to say. Not you coming to a conclusion on what he was actually trying to say. I doubt anyone could do that anyways.... Language analysis equals a total of 10 marks. Band 1 = 9-10 marks, Band 2 = 7-8 marks, and so on.. What I've been told by my teacher and what has worked for a while now is that 10 marks should generally be you picking out 10 words and phrases in the extract given to you to analyze. Remember these 10 words have to be things that you can easily find the meanings of. SO I RECOMMEND YOU START INCREASING YOUR VOCABULARY BANK RIGHT NOW. ( I'll link a site that helps, below)
Once you've got these 10 words and/or phrases, you simply write what they mean but let me show you how to present it. Lets say you got the phrase " threw no shadow on the floor ". First eliminate the subject, being the floor. Now the phrase is " Threw no shadow ". This phrase can obviously have a lot of meanings but here's what you got to do. Now throwing a shadow, doesn't that remind of you personification? Right so keep that in mind. No shadow means there's an absence of light but wait a minute, something has to be there go give a shadow so we backtrack a bit and we find that there's a bunch of figures who threw no shadow on the floor. NOW WE FINISHED ANALYZING THE PHRASE, TIME TO TELL THE READER WHAT WE THINK. This is how I would put it together.

-.... their figures "threw no shadow" on the floor, implies the absence of light to guide a shadow onto the floor and that their figures may not be affected by the presence of light.

Now then, lets see what we did here. We wrote what we understood but we wrote it as if we were telling it to ourselves," Implies the ...". We're using terms that we'd use in the analyzing part but this time to explain it to the reader.

^ Is how you pick up phrases or words, and explain them. You have to write it like you're explaining it to yourself but at the same time telling someone else. ANOTHER THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT YOUR WRITING HAS TO BE CREATIVE. IT HAS TO BE DIFFERENT FROM THAT PERSON SITTING IN FRONT OF YOU AND BEHIND YOU. Now you could be creative with the above phrase by saying stuff like: " The figures inability to shed a shadow suggests a paranormal presence, with its ability to throw a shadow being personified under bodily characteristics. " You see? how something simple like a shadow not being formed, can turn into something ridiculous and spooky? Well that's where you're supposed to be creative. REMEMBER, BE CREATIVE IN LANGUAGE ANALYSIS.

- From what I can recall, the second question in paper 2 is usually directed writing, so use what I said above...

- Now onto Summary writing. If I were to summarize everything I had written above in to one 5 words, ( Here are some helpful tips ), That's what it would be. In summary writing, 20 marks is divided into 15 for content and 5 for quality. Just like directed writing, in a summary, YOU HAVE TO PICK OUT 15 POINTS AND SUMMARIZE THEM, REGARDLESS IF THEY'RE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE, AS LONG AS THEY RELATE TO WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SUMMARIZE, USE THEM. This is an area I used to lose marks in because I'd only pick the points that seemed good. That's wrong, you're meant to use both types of points and there has to be a maximum of 15 points.
- If the extract is say 200 words, your summary has to be a lot less than that, but don't worry, the question always tells you how many sides you can write on.
- DO NOT BE PERSONAL, DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR OPINIONS. DO NOT USE THE SAME WORDS IN THE EXTRACT, CHANGE THEM. If it says " There were a lot of cracks on the wall, with tiny crevices along the floor in many areas ", You're supposed to write it as " The wall and floor were painted in cracks, alike." YOU'RE ALLOWED TO ADD NEW WORDS JUST AS LONG AS THEIR NOT PERSONAL OR INVOLVE YOUR OPINION.
- Make sure that you have paragraphs, it adds to the 5 marks available for quality.

If you need anything else, PM me and I'll gladly help. Here are links to the Stuff mentioned above:

- http://www.vocabulary.com/ ( Trust me this site helps, Try to learn at least 2 words a day until your exam )

To achieve a Grade A, a candidate will be able to:
• Understand and communicate information at both a straightforward and a complex level.
• Understand facts, ideas and opinions, and order and present in detail what is relevant for specific
purposes.
• Describe and reflect upon experience and detail, analyze effectively what is felt and what is imagined.
• Recognize implicit meanings and attitudes of a writer.
• Show a clear sense of audience and an understanding of appropriate uses of language.
• Write in well constructed paragraphs, using a full range of appropriate sentence structures, and show
accuracy in spelling and punctuation.
• Select and use appropriate spoken styles and registers. Candidates will vary their sentence structure,
vocabulary and expression confidently for a range of purposes, sustaining discussion through the use of
a variety of contributions, listening with sensitivity, and occasionally taking the initiative.

The funny thing is, for an A*, its all of the above + this :

- Candidates understand and communicate information at both a straightforward and a complex level.

- http://www.cie.org.uk/images/163028-cambridge-learner-guide-for-igcse-first-language-english.pdf ( YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO READ THROUGH THIS )

You can choose to use what I've said above, or ignore it but it's what has got me to being around 3-4 marks away from an A* in total.

Good luck for the finals, I'm going to be sitting for them this year as well. :)
That was so helpful :)