• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Accounting help

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
Can anyone help me understand Marginal Costing?

Thanks for your help friends!

p.s: i'm taking this paper next month! Thanks :D

Amber xx

Reaction score
Would you, miss, be kind enough to explain the precise papers you are going to appear in? The AS level (Paper 1 and 2), and the A2 level (Paper 3 and 4)'s Marginal Costing is substantially different in magnitude of difficulty. By the way, members are always entitled to receive help on this forum.

To develop a thorough grasp over the working of Marginal Costing, you need to first differentiate it from the working of the other form of costing, Absorption Costing. In Absorption Costing, we include in the total cost of a product ALL costs (Fixed, variable, and semi-variable), while in Marginal Costing, we only take into account the variable elements of cost (separate the variable cost in semi-variable costs, if needed). That should be the building block of all marginal costing statements. The focus, hence, is on the business covering the variable costs through the revenue it earns. The surplus of revenue over variable costs, or contribution, can then be expected to cover the fixed profits, after which any contribution left would be called, profit.

Reaction score
Hi sir.. Im going to take my exam this may june 2012.. and i need some serious study tips for accounting to get A in my AS level like u did~~~ :)))