• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A Level Biology Paper 52 3rd May 2017

Reaction score
Hey guys,

How are y'all preparing for the paper? I'm really nervous since I haven't practiced a lot of past papers and the planning questions seem to be tough. Any tips?

Reaction score
actuall u should do 30 papers from each paper ..howvwer u dont have much tie even im doing as and a level this year ..that is day after tomarrow ..at least go through the maximum marking schemes you can ..and study well ..because the question stucture would be the same ..go through the recent papers dont refer much to older papers like 2002 , 2003 ,2004 because sometimes syllabus may be changed ..at least if u can try to go through past papers from 2008-2016 good luck :)

Reaction score
I have it tomorrow too
Idk wht to do as well
Mayve jst read online jotes, textbook and do papers
Thts all u can do actually

Reaction score
Hey guys,

How are y'all preparing for the paper? I'm really nervous since I haven't practiced a lot of past papers and the planning questions seem to be tough. Any tips?
I have it tomorrow too
Idk wht to do as well
Mayve jst read online jotes, textbook and do papers
Thts all u can do actually

At what time do you guys have the paper? I will be doing 51, and at 12:00 pm GMT (3:00 pm KSA)
If we can help each other, because they will most probably, if not the same be similar.

Reaction score
At what time do you guys have the paper? I will be doing 51, and at 12:00 pm GMT (3:00 pm KSA)
If we can help each other, because they will most probably, if not the same be similar.
I have paper 52. at 5 am gmt

Reaction score
How did it go guys? Mine was kinda meh. Paper 2 was lovely though (giving both AS and A2).

Reaction score
How did it go guys? Mine was kinda meh. Paper 2 was lovely though (giving both AS and A2).
mine was ok
I hadn't revised the hardy Weinberg principle so I got tht wrong
I guess in Shaa Allah I 20-21 marks r sure
rest no idea

yeah I heard 2 was easy
even chem 2 was easy I heard
I have physcs 2 tomorrow
hope that is easy too

Reaction score
That's great. Mine is best case 20 ish too but can be lower if I screwed up the suggestions and 'why' type questions. I knew the principle but misread the question. Thought they were asking total brown furred (homozygous + heterozygous) while in fact it was heterozygous which they asked. Really silly mistake. The grade thresholds have progressively gone from 21 to 20 to 19 for paper 52 from March to May to October 2016, so if they find this to be harder than the October one, hopefully it'll go to an 18 or something :p (they've gone to as low as 17 in the past). InshaAllah let's hope for the best though and that good marks in the other Biology papers compensate for any loss in the paper 5 and preserve chances for an A*.

Yes paper 2 was amazing if components had A*s then A* situation with me, same with chem, it was fairly easy too. Physics tomorrow yes with paper 5 too. IA should be good.

Reaction score
That's great. Mine is best case 20 ish too but can be lower if I screwed up the suggestions and 'why' type questions. I knew the principle but misread the question. Thought they were asking total brown furred (homozygous + heterozygous) while in fact it was heterozygous which they asked. Really silly mistake. The grade thresholds have progressively gone from 21 to 20 to 19 for paper 52 from March to May to October 2016, so if they find this to be harder than the October one, hopefully it'll go to an 18 or something :p (they've gone to as low as 17 in the past). InshaAllah let's hope for the best though and that good marks in the other Biology papers compensate for any loss in the paper 5 and preserve chances for an A*.

Yes paper 2 was amazing if components had A*s then A* situation with me, same with chem, it was fairly easy too. Physics tomorrow yes with paper 5 too. IA should be good.
yeah
I really need physics to be easy
1)I hate physics
2)I tend to mess it up:unsure:
good luck for tomorrow

r u giving all papers of thee three subjects together? isn't it too much pressure?

Reaction score
yeah
I really need physics to be easy
1)I hate physics
2)I tend to mess it up:unsure:
good luck for tomorrow

r u giving all papers of thee three subjects together? isn't it too much pressure?

Haha for me it's 1) I love physics 2) but I tend to mess it up (cause of my impatience/not reading the question properly and idiotic calculation errors)

Thanks, you too.

Yeah I am and I wish this wasn't the case. My school immensely discourages giving AS a year earlier for God knows what reason, so never got the opportunity to do that. It was either attend classes or go "private" and study at home, cause our teachers, especially Chemistry, didn't teach the syllabus in order either. One student did and he messed up (got B's and C's), teachers did nothing to help him whatsoever and now he's giving the AS again. Even the A level dragged on and on until the end with such little emphasis on paper 5, I ended up not going to school at all in the past 6 months and self studying by myself, and I think I did a much better job. A level hasn't been anywhere near a pleasant experience. I'm very close to going on a rant about the school systems so I'll just stop here.

Good luck to everyone and anyone else who has any input on the paper 5 of Biology please do share. :)

Reaction score
Guys did you do p52?
What did you write for the question suggest a reason why cotton wool fibers were used? I wrote to prevent the crustacean from being displaced.
What did y'all write for the planning question?

For preparing the 100mgdm^-3 solution I wrote "crush 2 caffiene tablets using a mortar and pestle and place the powder in a 1 dm3 volumetric flask. Dissolve it with a little bit of distilled water and make up the contents of the flask up to 1dm3 mark using distilled water and shake the flask thoroughly."

What did you guys write for source of error and how the students could reduce it?
What about the question where why data is not sufficient to make conclusions?

And the last part of question 2?
same: I wrote so they don't move
bt I also wrote another point under it
which might be wrong
does it mean they will cut the mrk for the whole question?
because they wrote ONE in bold
idk
i'm confused
I hope they don't

yup I wrote the same bt except for the mortar pestle part
forgot tht
bt i'm sure you are right

I wrote heart beat too fast to count maybe
I didn't know an improvement so I wrote repeat

I wrote because range small
and wide difference between values nd they had to make more intermediates

which question

Reaction score
Haha for me it's 1) I love physics 2) but I tend to mess it up (cause of my impatience/not reading the question properly and idiotic calculation errors)

Thanks, you too.

Yeah I am and I wish this wasn't the case. My school immensely discourages giving AS a year earlier for God knows what reason, so never got the opportunity to do that. It was either attend classes or go "private" and study at home, cause our teachers, especially Chemistry, didn't teach the syllabus in order either. One student did and he messed up (got B's and C's), teachers did nothing to help him whatsoever and now he's giving the AS again. Even the A level dragged on and on until the end with such little emphasis on paper 5, I ended up not going to school at all in the past 6 months and self studying by myself, and I think I did a much better job. A level hasn't been anywhere near a pleasant experience. I'm very close to going on a rant about the school systems so I'll just stop here.

Good luck to everyone and anyone else who has any input on the paper 5 of Biology please do share. :)
oh that a shame
I gave AS last year
everything was good except I messed up physics (obv) so i'm repeating this year
therefore I have 2 paper tomorrow :cry:

Reaction score
and

Thanks, you too.

and don't wrry A level is NEVER a pleasant experience :p

Reaction score
this was a 2 mark question
i wrote use 100cm3 capacity burrette 5 times (i've seen such a statement in chemistry) to measure out 500cm3 water into a beaker. Add 1, 50mg caffeine pill into this and stir to make 500cm3 of 100mgdm-3 caffeine solution. I am pretty confident this can get me the 2 marks. Correct me if i am wrong.

Reaction score
I said the same for the cotton wool and added a couple of other things.

For the planning I just went on and on and rambled about LOL. Low risk experiment, create different concentrations, repeat thrice and mean for each concentration, etc. stuff like that.

For the preparing I went with using pill splitter to cut tablet in half or crushing it and then weighing 25 mg and then dissolving it in a 250 cm^3 volumetric flask. That would also give the same concentration and I forgot that 1 dm^3 volumetric flasks exist so to stay on the safe side went with this.

Source of error I said they add the crustacean first and then the drops and while removing it from culture to the cotton wool maybe the time delay would have some impact so add drops first then crustacean. Similar nonsense for why it wasn't sufficient. :3

Reaction score
Guys was there another name for the "crustacean" written in the first question? idk if i used "crustacean".

Reaction score
Guys was there another name for the "crustacean" written in the first question? idk if i used "crustacean".
oh i remember now! it was "daphnia" i wrote that instead of crustacean.

Reaction score
d
I said the same for the cotton wool and added a couple of other things.

For the planning I just went on and on and rambled about LOL. Low risk experiment, create different concentrations, repeat thrice and mean for each concentration, etc. stuff like that.

For the preparing I went with using pill splitter to cut tablet in half or crushing it and then weighing 25 mg and then dissolving it in a 250 cm^3 volumetric flask. That would also give the same concentration and I forgot that 1 dm^3 volumetric flasks exist so to stay on the safe side went with this.

Source of error I said they add the crustacean first and then the drops and while removing it from culture to the cotton wool maybe the time delay would have some impact so add drops first then crustacean. Similar nonsense for why it wasn't sufficient. :3
for the source of error...
if u add drops first thn daphnia.. by the time you set it up to look through the microscope wont the heart rate differ...?
idk