• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
it is written in text book that glucose aminoacide pass through cotranspoter in microvilli of proximal convoluted tuble through cotransporter
are chloride ions vitamine in absorbed in the same way

Last edited:
Reaction score
also its written in book that 1 if deploraisation of receptor is greater than threshold action potential will be sent and
2 if stimulation of sensory neurone is above threshold impulse will travel to brain
i think if 1 occured 2 will certainly occur

Reaction score
Cambridge coursebook is good too but it doesn't have everything at least for A2
Hey is this true even for the new book? Can you please give examples of topics not covered by the book? Because I've been relying only on this book :(
Thanks

Reaction score
it is written in text book that glucose aminoacide pass through cotranspoter in microvilli of proximal convoluted tuble through cotransporter
are chloride ions vitamine in absorbed in the same way
Yes.
"Secondary active transport is responsible for absorption of glucose, amino acids, vitamins, and most cations, and occurs when solutes are cotransported with Na+ when it moves along its concentration gradient."

Source

Reaction score
Hey is this true even for the new book? Can you please give examples of topics not covered by the book? Because I've been relying only on this book :(
Thanks
My teacher said that yes.
The new book has the topics for the 2016 syllabus but not everything needed has enough details.
Remind me I will give you examples later. :3 The thing is I am actually using the 3rd edition along with some of my class notes plus the notes our teacher gave.

Reaction score
The new book has the topics for the 2016 syllabus but not everything needed has enough details.
Remind me I will give you examples later. :3 The thing is I am actually using the 3rd edition along with some of my class notes plus the notes our teacher gave.
I've read from the old book so far but I will be taking AS only so there isn't much added in AS but still there are some points not covered, could you tell me which notes you are using to cover the newly added syllabus please? :(
I'm buying the new book but I can't have it before the next month :(

Reaction score
I've read from the old book so far but I will be taking AS only so there isn't much added in AS but still there are some points not covered, could you tell me which notes you are using to cover the newly added syllabus please? :(
I'm buying the new book but I can't have it before the next month :(
I gave AS Bio in 2015 O/N session so I'm sorry I can't help you by giving any of my notes.
I don't mind sharing my notes.It's just that I won't have any new topic ones. :p
If by the new book you mean the CIE coursebook 4rth edition by Mary Jones.
I can help with that.You can download the ebook from here till you get the hard copy.

Reaction score
Thank you

Reaction score
can anybody help me and check my answer?
View attachment 59656 View attachment 59657
My answer: 2.primary pigments arranged 1.into light harvesting clusters which 3.act as reaction centres. the light harvesting clusters are divided into two photosystems,I and II. 6.the primary pigments are surrounded by accessory pigments which 7.capture light energy for use by photosystems. in cyclic photophosphorylation,photosystem I recieves light energy which 9.excites electrons then the electrons are captured back and 11.passed along ETC to provide energy for 12.atp synthase to manufacture ATP from ADP and Pi.

the sentences highlighted in my answer and the numbers beside them show the point where i think they belong to the markscheme.
am i checking the markscheme the right way? how many marks do you think i should earn for my answer?
The answer very much has all the points by the MS but I think it could be more detailed since it's an A'level answer. For example while describing the harvesting systems instead of just saying there are two primary pigments, you could explain these are chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b and accessory pigments such as carotenoids and xanthophils surround the primary pigments in light harvesting clusters. But then you might get full credit 'cause we don't know how exactly the marking works.

Reaction score
The answer very much has all the points by the MS but I think it could be more detailed since it's an A'level answer. For example while describing the harvesting systems instead of just saying there are two primary pigments, you could explain these are chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b and accessory pigments such as carotenoids and xanthophils surround the primary pigments in light harvesting clusters. But then you might get full credit 'cause we don't know how exactly the marking works.
oh, thanks for helping, yeah i could have written more but i am writing whatever i know from the coursebook but my coursebook doesn't have complete details but it should be enough to earn almost the full mark. somehow, i don't know about the xanthophils.

Reaction score
oh, thanks for helping, yeah i could have written more but i am writing whatever i know from the coursebook but my coursebook doesn't have complete details but it should be enough to earn almost the full mark. somehow, i don't know about the xanthophils.
That's alright. Just try to read out each topic from one more reference book, helps a lot with understanding. Also don't forget to consult your teachers notes.

Reaction score
That's alright. Just try to read out each topic from one more reference book, helps a lot with understanding. Also don't forget to consult your teachers notes.
actually I have other reference books and they are really useful but they are not as detailed as the coursebook. Besides, I don't have teachers biology notes becuz, as an As student, I am not allowed to take A2 till I rich year 12 in my school so, I decided to study the first half of the A2 by myself and I studied the other half from tuitions.
Anyway, thanks for your help,I have been waiting a long time for a reply. Somehow,I can't find any reason why I should write a more detailed answer In A2 when my answer have already fulfilled all the 8 marks. Its not like the examiner is not going to give me 8 marks just because my answer wasn't detailed enough yet,according to ms,i should receive the full mark.

Reaction score
actually I have other reference books and they are really useful but they are not as detailed as the coursebook. Besides, I don't have teachers biology notes becuz, as an As student, I am not allowed to take A2 till I rich year 12 in my school so, I decided to study the first half of the A2 by myself and I studied the other half from tuitions.
Anyway, thanks for your help,I have been waiting a long time for a reply. Somehow,I can't find any reason why I should write a more detailed answer In A2 when my answer have already fulfilled all the 8 marks. Its not like the examiner is not going to give me 8 marks just because my answer wasn't detailed enough yet,according to ms,i should receive the full mark.
That's great. I was saying that from an A2's perspective. And yeah I think you would get the marks but studying in depth always helps. :)