• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Huh what's Myb? :D I'll try to do something for you. coz u knw, all my notes are on hard copies and have bits everywhere. so i have to compile and type. it would be easier if you tell me the specific diseases that ur syllabus requires. in which session are u taking part? Maybe they removed or added diseases which i did not study. check the diseases required in the chapter according to the syllabus and type it here.
For this year AS here is a copy from the syllabus !

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Outline the properties of some bacteria which make them suitable for use in the extraction of heavy metals from their ores -4marks
please answer. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hey Malik777
here are my personal notes, u may find it few but this is what i learned before exams. I summarised everything so that at the end of A2 I didn't have much bulky notes. This is what i have compiled so far. I modified it according to PhyZac brother's syllabus requirements he gave. Hope this helps you. If you have any question or doubt, please do ask.

Attachments

• Infectious diseases.doc
    119.5 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
TY :
Hey Malik777
here are my personal notes, u may find it few but this is what i learned before exams. I summarised everything so that at the end of A2 I didn't have much bulky notes. This is what i have compiled so far. I modified it according to PhyZac brother's syllabus requirements he gave. Hope this helps you. If you have any question or doubt, please do ask.
TY :)_

Reaction score
Outline the properties of some bacteria which make them suitable for use in the extraction of heavy metals from their ores -4marks
please answer. Thanks in advance
Some metal ore are form of sulphide. Some types of bacteria are able to obtain energy by converting sulphide to soluble sulphates, by an oxidation reaction. The ore are crushed, becteria are added. Water is allowed to flow through the ore washing out the soluble metal sulphate the bacteria have produced.

Reaction score
And please, i forgot to tell you, do your layers (tissues) proportionately: Each layer of cells in your drawing must be proportionate as the layers are in the diagram provided, you get it?

There is no really spongy mesophyll layer here because there are no large intercellular air spaces in between. In the micrograph you can only see clearly the: cuticle, upper and lower epidermis, the vascular bundle, the palisade mesophyll layer.

u're welcome, sure do post em. ;)
yes I got it :) , here it is :D ...

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
yes I got it :) , here it is :D ...
Yeah u're right PhyZac
So here are my comments. I'll be honest with you.
- vascular bundles are missing
- few details
- proportionality not much respected. see your cuticle is thicker "than usual"
- labellings missing
- the line in the middle does not continue.
- Else, ur lines are neat
- avoid the "scribbles" you did in the lower epidermis
I'll post a drawing soon to help you a bit. Don't worry you need to practice a lot before reaching to perfection. btw when is your exam?

Reaction score
Some metal ore are form of sulphide. Some types of bacteria are able to obtain energy by sulphide to soluble sulphates, by an oxidation reaction. The ore are crushed, becteria are added. Water is allowed to flow through the ore washing out the soluble metal sulphate the bacteria have produced.
is this in A1 or A2??

Reaction score
question: why is there a circle on the right?

and don't make zig zag or wavy lines like u did around vascular bundles ... the lines should be smooth. otherwise ask PhyZac and strangerss :)
See on the micrograph you have a region of cells which are not clear, its just diffused/not clear. so i thought to draw it.
Well i think that the zig zag lines/wavy lines will not affect marking as such because the cells there are not that perfectly smooth. I didn't do it much. so its okay i think. Thanks for reminding. :)

Reaction score
question: why is there a circle on the right?

and don't make zig zag or wavy lines like u did around vascular bundles ... the lines should be smooth. otherwise ask PhyZac and strangerss :)
I too believe that drawing the circle was kind of correct, it actually depend on your specimen, if you see a distinctive difference in color as in the diagram, u better draw it. But if you dont draw it either wont be a mistake because it isnt so clear.

I was taught to draw it according how i see, and from diagram, i believe it kinda wavy. :unsure: I am not sure, but learn the fact "Draw wat you see, NOT wat u saw"

Reaction score
See on the micrograph you have a region of cells which are not clear, its just diffused/not clear. so i thought to draw it.
Well i think that the zig zag lines/wavy lines will not affect marking as such because the cells there are not that perfectly smooth. I didn't do it much. so its okay i think. Thanks for reminding. :)

Hey, thank you for the infectious disease notes! Do you have notes on any other chapter, AS or A2?

Reaction score
Hey, thank you for the infectious disease notes! Do you have notes on any other chapter, AS or A2?
No problem. ;)
The thing is that ALL my notes are hardcopies and my notes are like bits of papers here and there. Tell me some specific chapter where i can put some explanations of my own and compile some of my personal notes.

Reaction score
I too believe that drawing the circle was kind of correct, it actually depend on your specimen, if you see a distinctive difference in color as in the diagram, u better draw it. But if you dont draw it either wont be a mistake because it isnt so clear.

I was taught to draw it according how i see, and from diagram, i believe it kinda wavy. :unsure: I am not sure, but learn the fact "Draw wat you see, NOT wat u saw"
Exactly PhyZac i agree with you.

Reaction score

and yeah daredevil, i was taught too to draw it according to how i see, as PhyZac said. :) yeah its quite wavy brother.