• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
The ruler measurment is converted into micrometers or whatever the unit the question measures it in. and then apply the magnification formula:
Whatever you measured/ the actual = magnification. you know the magnification because you're using a microscope right? So if ur using x10 then put that in the formula and if ur using x40,then put that.
I hope i'm clear.

Thank you so much. But i've got a question.
do we use the ruler to calibrate the eye piece graticule or do we directly measure the specimen using the ruler?

Reaction score
Not really
Ok...
C1= concentration provided
C2= concentration you want to make
V1= volume of the original solution u must use
V2= total volume of the solution (which you must keep constant)

C1V1=C2V2
According to the question, the total volume being kept constant is 10cm3
Your C1= o.1
V1= x
C2= 0.05
V2= 10
Now apply the formula.
0.1x= 0.05 x 10
x= 5
so you're taking out 5cm3 of the original solution and diluting it with (10-5 =5) 5cm3 water.
Now, try the table yourself. I explained what they did in the question. Tell me if u still don't get it.
You should make your own concentrations, a minimum of 5.

Reaction score
Vertical transmission,is the inheritance of genetic material,from parents to offsprings.
Horizontal transmission is the transfer of genetic material (Plasmids) from one bacterium to another.
Yes. But both of them can be the transfer of plasmids.

Reaction score
I don't really know man...practicals was never really my thing...
I'm sorry i can't help.....i'm having a very bad day.............................

Reaction score
Can you help me with this one? If I have 6.25 cm^3 of 10% solution, and I mix it with 3.75 cm^3 of water, what will be the concentration of the solution?
Use this formula:volume of solute =(required concentration/initial concentration )* the total volume of solution . In your case the required concentration is missing , so if we put all the values given in the formula then solve it , we get the required concentration with a value of 6.25% . Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Can you help me with this one? If I have 6.25 cm^3 of 10% solution, and I mix it with 3.75 cm^3 of water, what will be the concentration of the solution?

C1V1=C2V2
Where the total volume is 6.25+3.75=10
6.25x10 = 10 x C2
C2 = 6.25

Reaction score
Just draw the three layers. Ignore the details outside the artery. It must be large and proportional (it must be like an oval, not a circle).
The mark scheme provides a good example of a drawing.

No no i meant the question below that,about the eye piece graticule and the stage micrometer?