• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
no, they need oxygen for working
that is very weird, I just double checked with CIE endorsed textbook 2013 third edition as well as the encyclopedia
nitrogen fixation in soil requires
supply of hydrogen, supply of ATP, anaerobic conditions

ONLY nitrogen fixation in the atmosphere which is caused by lightning which directly converts N2 to NO2/NO skipping NH3 requires aerobic condition.

Reaction score
All the options appear correct to me...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Reaction score
All the options appear correct to me...
A i think

Because yes water moves through membranes everywhere, as a result of random motion.
And yes water moves into cell 1 by osmosis, since it has a low (-7 is lowest number there) water potential.
As for number 3, it is wrong, water DOES move in both directions, just that both rates are same and so overall there is no net movement, but water still moves in both directions.
As for number 4, water does move out but this doesn't necessarily always mean that plasmolysis has occured.

Reaction score
that is very weird, I just double checked with CIE endorsed textbook 2013 third edition as well as the encyclopedia
nitrogen fixation in soil requires
supply of hydrogen, supply of ATP, anaerobic conditions

ONLY nitrogen fixation in the atmosphere which is caused by lightning which directly converts N2 to NO2/NO skipping NH3 requires aerobic condition.
well nitrogen fixing bacteria in root nodules need anaerobic conditions but this is achieved as the legumes mop up the oxygen in the soil this means they can grow in aerated soils but in anaerobic conditions however the nitrifying bacteria needs aerobic conditions and denitrifying bacteria can only grow in anaerobic conditions which needs to be maintained since they are found free in the soil