• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A-Level Biology

Reaction score
Hi!I would like to ask for A-Level Biology, people often suggest memorizing the mark schemes. I would like to ask, when we do this, do we memorize the question as well and also, do we also memorize from our textbooks? And also, there are a lot of past papers out there, how can we be sure that the question may be correct. It's because often, when I look up past papers, I find 2 questions similar, or the same but however, I find the answer keys to be different. How can we ensure that we are using the right words? I am doing CIE AS-Level Biology.

Reaction score
Don't memorize the questions or the answers... Do this:
1) Read your textbook and understand the topic ( if you learn better from videos do that )
2) make notes and read them- don't just skim through them, try to understand the main point
3) Go through some past paper questions and see if you can answer them- if not then go through the topic again
These will help you to do better

And I'm sure whoever told you to memorize the mark scheme, they meant that you go through past papers and see the type of questions they ask on that topic. Then check the mark scheme to see what they are expecting you to write and how they want you to connect multiple topics...
The problem you are facing is that you have memorized the mark scheme on a specific topic and no matter the requirement of the question, you will give that same generic answer- which obviously will turn out to be wrong as you have not related your answer to the question or the scenario they have given you.
They sometimes give you similar questions but the scenario is completely different which means that your answer will be different too.
Now I'm not saying don't go through the mark schemes or anything, but you should have a different approach towards it... I have solved many past papers and by doing so I have seen a general trend of what type of questions they like to ask and how they want us to answer them... But every answer should be related to the question and the scenario they have given you

One last thing- after each past paper you solve read the examiner's report, they have everything! from where students wrong to how an answer could have been written better...

Well, thank you for coming to my ted talk!😌😌

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is a stupid question to ask lol, but when making tables in the practical exam should we use pencil or pen?