• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A Level Economics:

Reaction score
May/June 2011,9708/12,MCQ 10 & 20's explanation???
October/November 2010,9708/12,MCQ 22's explanation???

Reaction score
Thank you
The question asked for cross elasticity of good Y against PRICE of good X. The key word is we are looking at the QUANTITY of Y and the PRICE of X.

Old Qy is 20 and new Qy is 30

Old Px is 8 and new Px is 10.

My way of calculating is (Qnew - Qold/ Qold) / (Pnew-Pold/Pold)

Once you solve that, you get an answer of 2. The equations in the options all have 2 in their range except for A so you eliminate A.

C is the most suitable answer because it has the number 2 in it.

Hope I helped :)

Thank you very much! :)

Reaction score
Q17. Answer is B but im getting A :/

Attachments

• 9708_s12_qp_12.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score

Q17. Answer is B but im getting A :/
According to Marshall Lerner condition when PED of exports plus PED of imports is less than 1 , then a fall in value of currency (depreciation) will further deteriorate or worsen the trade. It is in option A where 0.5 + 0.25 = 0.75 which is less than 1. In all other options it is 1 or greater than 1.
Hope u got it.

Reaction score
According to Marshall Lerner condition when PED of exports plus PED of imports is less than 1 , then a fall in value of currency (depreciation) will further deteriorate or worsen the trade. It is in option A where 0.5 + 0.25 = 0.75 which is less than 1. In all other options it is 1 or greater than 1.
Hope u got it.
yes thank youu

Reaction score
sir tell me about elasticities what are the calculation and which sign represnt what in each (YED XED PED)...
and calculation for infaltion by there respective indexe
Thannkyou

Reaction score
sir tell me about elasticities what are the calculation and which sign represnt what in each (YED XED PED)...
Thannkyou

Reaction score
Thannkyou

PED is always negative but we need not to put negative sign as it is understood.XED for substitutes is positive and for complements it is negativeYED for normal and luxurious goods is positive and for inferior and giffen goods it is negative