• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level math options

Reaction score
Please answer these similar questions which are confusing me. Please answer them one by one in your post.

1) I am not an expert in anything (neither physics nor stats). I do like physics but that doesn't mean I am an expert in it so what is an easier option for my A levels, S1 & S2 or M1 & M2 or S1 & M1?

2) What if I give P1 & P2 in my AS levels? I know I won't be able to carry it further to A2 but how/what will appear on my certificate? Will it be written like 'Pure Mathematics' or just simple 'Mathematics'?

3) What if I appear in P1, P2 & M1/S1 in AS levels? is it possible?

4) What if I appear in ALL modules? what will happen?

Thanks.

PlanetMaster

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
1) Easier won't be the correct word but M1 & S1 would be more interesting and easy to cope with.

2) AS level is independently recognized but without A2 credits are only valid for a short period of time.

3) I'm afraid not!
Its either two components or all four.

4) You can appear in P1, P3, M1 & S1.
That will give you a complete A Level Mathematics certificate.

Reaction score
A bit of addition to the previous answer.

The paper/module combination you should select from are as following:

For a complete A Level >>> P1, M1, P3, S1

For AS if you select >>> P1, M1
THEN
For A2 you must select >>> P3, S1

For AS if you select >>> P1, S1
THEN
For A2 you must select >>> P3, M1

These are the combinations recommended by most of the recognized universities.

P.S

P2 is a sub-part of P3, so if you prepare P2 it will help you in P3. Although you can just skip P2 and just start with P3 topics. S2, or M2 are usually studied in Further Mathematics.