• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A-level Subject Combinations: is this one a little too soft?

Reaction score
I've just completed my O-levels and am about to get started on A-levels. Exciting times, yes, but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which subjects I'd like to study. So far, the ones I've decided to go with are Accounting, Economics, and Maths. The General Paper is a compulsory subject at my school, so I'll be having to take that too.

A lot of universities, however, seem to see the General Paper & Accounting as rather 'soft' subjects to have, and discourage prospective students from taking Business Studies if they're taking Economics.
Should I stick with my current combination, or take an extra A-level just in case? English Literature, perhaps? I'm fairly decent at English Language (got an A* on my O-level) but not too familiar with the 'literature' aspect of it. Worth a shot, or too risky?
Another subject that I could see myself possibly studying, despite the fact that it's always been a relatively boring one for me, is Computer Science.

Would 5 subjects (Accounting, Economics, Maths, General Paper, & English Literature OR Computer Science) at the AS stage be manageable? And perhaps more importantly, to what extent would it boost my chances of getting accepted into a top university?
Thoughts?

P.S. I don't particularly enjoy the sciences, in case you were wondering!
P.P.S. By 'top university', I mean top: the Oxbridges, the Baths, the Warwicks, the Exeters, etc.
P.P.P.S. I'm not exactly sure what I want to study at university yet, but it's probably going to be something business-oriented.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bro u just copied my words and pasted here ..... I'm too confused with the same case :(
If u get any good suggestions from somewhere else kindly let me know thanks in advance ..

Reaction score
Bro u just copied my words and pasted here ..... I'm too confused with the same case :(
If u get any good suggestions from somewhere else kindly let me know thanks in advance ..

Reaction score
I don't remember copy-pasting this post from somewhere else, but sure.

Reaction score
I've just completed my O-levels and am about to get started on A-levels. Exciting times, yes, but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding which subjects I'd like to study. So far, the ones I've decided to go with are Accounting, Economics, and Maths. The General Paper is a compulsory subject at my school, so I'll be having to take that too.

A lot of universities, however, seem to see the General Paper & Accounting as rather 'soft' subjects to have, and discourage prospective students from taking Business Studies if they're taking Economics.
Should I stick with my current combination, or take an extra A-level just in case? English Literature, perhaps? I'm fairly decent at English Language (got an A* on my O-level) but not too familiar with the 'literature' aspect of it. Worth a shot, or too risky?
Another subject that I could see myself possibly studying, despite the fact that it's always been a relatively boring one for me, is Computer Science.

Would 5 subjects (Accounting, Economics, Maths, General Paper, & English Literature OR Computer Science) at the AS stage be manageable? And perhaps more importantly, to what extent would it boost my chances of getting accepted into a top university?
Thoughts?

P.S. I don't particularly enjoy the sciences, in case you were wondering!
P.P.S. By 'top university', I mean top: the Oxbridges, the Baths, the Warwicks, the Exeters, etc.
Accounting and General Paper are considered as soft subjects. You should take at least 3 respected A level subjects to be competitive. 5 subjects at AS level is nothing special, so it's definitely worth a shot. Your decision on whether to choose English Literature or Computer Science should depend on what course you wish to study at university.