• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A-levels---help needed!

Reaction score
Asalam-o-Alaikum, :)
Could anyone who has taken a-levels, help me out here please?? Okay so currently I have given my IGCSE's and I want some help for AS subjects which are MATHS, CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS, and BIOLOGY. So could anyone who has given maths as an a-level subject tell me whether it is advisable for me to take it or not (if it's possible that I can guarantee myself an A if I work extremely hard?? Btw I like maths alot. ;) ) And for the three sciences, if I focus on the curriculum books and past papers, is that enough or if you can, please do give me some links which are really very helpful in understanding some topics? Thanks a bunch in advance. Will be pleased by all helps and guidance. Jazakallah khair! :)

Reaction score
A-level math is a piece of cake !! trust me :D
as for the sciences no a book and past papers are sure not enough ..... u have to be a extermely hard worker and look for all possible resources avalible for u.....my advise is to take the two most related to the subject u want to major at ..... the choice is still urs ofc !!!

GOOD LUCK :):):)

Reaction score
wsalam

A level maths is real hard. Dont give it (try it for 2 weeks, do some questions and decide for yourself)
focus on your 3 core sciences phy,chem,bio. If you are in pakistan or intend to come here (only these 3 count for your equivalence for MCAT)

Reaction score
wsalam

A level maths is real hard. Dont give it (try it for 2 weeks, do some questions and decide for yourself)
focus on your 3 core sciences phy,chem,bio. If you are in pakistan or intend to come here (only these 3 count for your equivalence for MCAT)
Thank you! Jazakallah Khair! I am guessing that you are saying that based on your experience of course.....but yes i'll try it for couple of months and then decide....Please also do give some advices for AS level bcoz i am really scared. :(

Reaction score
warrior66 you a pakistani or plan to come to pakistani universities medical/engineering?

Reaction score
warrior66 you a pakistani or plan to come to pakistani universities medical/engineering?
Asalam-o-Alaikum!
Yes, I am a Pakistani and Inshallah I plan on coming back to Pakistan for further studies. Btw, I am interested in the Medicine field so yes....Inshallah, May Allah open paths for our careers....Ameen!

Reaction score
so give only 3, phy,chem and bio
get all A* in them

in olevel u must have given basic 8 (only these count)
phy,chem.bio,math,eng,urdu,pakst,isl

A* counts as 90
A as 85
B at 75 i think

olevel/matric weightage 10%
alevel 40%
mcat 50%

Reaction score
Could anyone who has taken a-levels, help me out here please?? Okay so currently I have given my IGCSE's and I want some help for AS subjects which are MATHS, CHEMISTRY, PHYSICS, and BIOLOGY. So could anyone who has given maths as an a-level subject tell me whether it is advisable for me to take it or not (if it's possible that I can guarantee myself an A if I work extremely hard?? Btw I like maths alot. ;) ) And for the three sciences, if I focus on the curriculum books and past papers, is that enough or if you can, please do give me some links which are really very helpful in understanding some topics? Thanks a bunch in advance. Will be pleased by all helps and guidance. Jazakallah khair! :)
i gave all these 4 subjects. and Allhumdulliah scored As in all. Maths isnt easy. syllabus is less as compared to other but you have to practice a lot . the more differnt types of question you solve the more better for you.

Reaction score
so give only 3, phy,chem and bio
get all A* in them

in olevel u must have given basic 8 (only these count)
phy,chem.bio,math,eng,urdu,pakst,isl

A* counts as 90
A as 85
B at 75 i think

olevel/matric weightage 10%
alevel 40%
mcat 50%
Hmm...I have given 9 subjects in total for IGCSE (O Levels-it's the same thing...not exactly but nearly the same! :)) And well....the only subject that I had a downfall in was Pakistan Studies (not telling what I got! :( ) I was thinking of repeating it but then I decided against it because I had to concentrate on other important subjects...ppl say that you just need to pass in these subjects (i hope they are right!) But to be honest I didn't study at all for PS (Pak Studies) and what I got was quite inevitable! Now I need to concentrate on A-Levels...instead of resitting for Pak Studies (even if I consider Oct/Nov session). Thing is I haven't ever studied Pak Studies before so it was all quite new to me and all that.

Reaction score
i gave all these 4 subjects. and Allhumdulliah scored As in all. Maths isnt easy. syllabus is less as compared to other but you have to practice a lot . the more differnt types of question you solve the more better for you.
Mashallah! Did you just give the AS Level or the complete A Levels? Please do also give me some tips for these subjects! Jazakallah! if you can give me any links or some sites for notes it would be extremely helpful of you! :) May Allah Bless you!

Reaction score

If you like Maths, I'd say you should go for it Even if you're going for Medical, it's good to keep your options open. Maths in A Levels can be challenging (especially P3) but very rewarding, in my opinion. And it works really well with Biology, Physics and Chemistry. It'll help you understand the finer aspects of these subjects.

Everything is achievable if you work hard enough for it. Good luck!

Reaction score
If you like Maths,I'd say you should go for it Even if you're going for Medical, it's good to keep your options open. Maths in A Levels can be challenging (especially P3) but very rewarding, in my opinion. And it works really well with Biology, Physics and Chemistry. It'll help you understand the finer aspects of these subjects.

Everything is achievable if you work hard enough for it. Good luck!
Jazakallah Khair!

Reaction score
Mashallah! Did you just give the AS Level or the complete A Levels? Please do also give me some tips for these subjects! Jazakallah! if you can give me any links or some sites for notes it would be extremely helpful of you! :) May Allah Bless you!
i gave AS last year this is full alevel result.
and yes if you want to keep your options open take maths.
and i mainly focused on past papers. and solved some questions from differnt books.

Reaction score
Maths is okay, it's durable ( at least that is what I think) and since you like Maths,it should be fine and I would recommend you to take it. Like what the others say, keep your option wide. =) All the best!

Reaction score
Maths is okay, it's durable ( at least that is what I think) and since you like Maths,it should be fine and I would recommend you to take it. Like what the others say, keep your option wide. =) All the best!
Jazakallah Khair! :) I enjoy reading people's comments who are so positive and encouraging! Thank you very much. If you don't mind, could you tell me what you got? If you don't want to then it's ok.

Reaction score
Maths is a very paying subject. Once you solve the questions right, the examiner will hopefully find no reason to deduce any marks from you at all! But it requires hardwork too. In other theory subjects, examiner can always deduce marks in wordings or other ways. But in Maths chances of those mistakes are low. Maths is a subject in which there's not much guidelines needed. You just work hard and you get the result. Just like in boxing, you train more, you get the result more easily . A good advantage of it is that you can tell where you're standing at times too...

Reaction score
Don't forget to get tips from seniors and of course teachers.
I recommend you to target to solve past papers of Pure Mathematics from the past ten years at least 5 times before giving the exam. And then there are books and of course Mechanics and Stats.

Reaction score
Don't forget to get tips from seniors and of course teachers.
I recommend you to target to solve past papers of Pure Mathematics from the past ten years at least 5 times before giving the exam. And then there are books and of course Mechanics and Stats.
Jazakallah Khair! Kindly, if you could give me any sites that have everything to the point for Maths...that would be very helpful of you!