• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A question of chemsitry if anyone can answer

Reaction score
Aqueous tin(II) sulfate is electrolysed using carbon electrodes. This electrolysis is similar
to that of aqueous copper(II) sulfate using carbon electrodes.
(i) What is the product at the negative electrode (cathode)?
.............................................................................................................................. [1]
(ii) Write the equation for the reaction at the positive electrode (anode).
.............................................................................................................................. [2]
(iii) Name the acid formed in this electrolysis.
.............................................................................................................................. [

Reaction score
Aqueous tin(II) sulfate is electrolysed using carbon electrodes. This electrolysis is similar
.............................................................................................................................. [1]
.............................................................................................................................. [2]
.............................................................................................................................. [
Hi,
i) cathode is negative so it will attract positive ions which are tin ions as tin is less reactive than hydrogen.
ii) positive electrode will attract the negative ions and the equation is 4OH-=2H2O+O2+4e- ( this formula is memorized cant be explained)
iii) the acid formed will be sulfuric acid because OH ions reacted and also the tin ions, leaving the sulfate ions and the hydrogen ions which produce sulfuric acid :D

Reaction score
i think he is just curious :)
Thanks god... I lost more than 15 marks till now and haven't checked my answer as I just finished on time (well , 5 seconds after time :D )
and I know will lose more as I'm not sure of more than half of this test ... I felt shocked when I saw this thought that I forgot to answer some questions :unsure:
Hope that the GT is low this year so I can get A*

Reaction score

i. tin
ii. 4OH- + 4e- ==> 2 H2O + O2
iii. Sulfuric acid.

Reaction score
Thanks god... I lost more than 15 marks till now and haven't checked my answer as I just finished on time (well , 5 seconds after time :D )
and I know will lose more as I'm not sure of more than half of this test ... I felt shocked when I saw this thought that I forgot to answer some questions :unsure:
Hope that the GT is low this year so I can get A*
me 2

Reaction score
Hi,
i) cathode is negative so it will attract positive ions which are tin ions as tin is less reactive than hydrogen.
ii) positive electrode will attract the negative ions and the equation is 4OH-=2H2O+O2+4e- ( this formula is memorized cant be explained)
iii) the acid formed will be sulfuric acid because OH ions reacted and also the tin ions, leaving the sulfate ions and the hydrogen ions which produce sulfuric acid :D
but tin is more reactive than hydrogen?

Reaction score
Hi,
How is tin less reactive than hydrogen?