• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A question that has come up twice in paper 6

Reaction score
Ok, this question came up twice, one in 2011 and one in 2005 (both june/may).

Basically they give you a table with a quantity and tell you to underline the most appropriate value..

Most of them need a little bit of thinking but there is one that is bugging me a lot.

Here it is, one from the 2005 and one from 2011:

current in a 12V ray box lamp at less than normal brightness: 0.5 A 5.0A 50A
current in a 1.5V torch lamp at normal brightness: o.12A 12A 120A

WHY? is there a concept i'm missing here? How am i supposed to go about thinking to solve this? Please can you tell me the concept/how we're supposed to work this out...?

Thank you!!!!!!!

Reaction score

Basically they give you a table with a quantity and tell you to underline the most appropriate value..

Most of them need a little bit of thinking but there is one that is bugging me a lot.

WHY? is there a concept i'm missing here? How am i supposed to go about thinking to solve this? Please can you tell me the concept/how we're supposed to work this out...?

Thank you!!!!!!!

If they asked this last year, I doubt it'll show up this year.
But either way, could you prove a link to the 2011 paper , and question number x) ?

Reaction score

Thank you!!!!!!!
the amount of current that can flow through a lamp is usually less than 1 A if it weren't then the bulb would fry or just blast :p
thats why the other 2 options are irrelevant. :D

Reaction score
the amount of current that can flow through a lamp is usually less than 1 A if it weren't then the bulb would fry or just blast :p
thats why the other 2 options are irrelevant. :D
Could you answer this question for me please? If it is too much to ask then you don't have to..:

here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/cocs28w

question 5 bii

here are the answers to the other questions before it
a) 22
bi) 14

and bii) 64

i get the first 2, but not the last part (which is bii) What I did was 100-14, but apparantly that is wrong.
So why is the answer 64? Thanks if you could!

Reaction score
Could you answer this question for me please? If it is too much to ask then you don't have to..:

here's the link:

question 5 bii

a) 22
bi) 14

and bii) 64

i get the first 2, but not the last part (which is bii) What I did was 100-14, but apparantly that is wrong.

Its 100-36, as 100 degrees is the temperature the metal was at before being placed in the water, and it caused the water to rise to a temperature of 36 degrees.

Reaction score

here's the link:

question 5 bii

a) 22
bi) 14

and bii) 64

its really simple.... :p
the temp. of the metal is given as 100 degrees.
and the temp. of the water in the beaker is 36 degrees.
since the temp. fall is reqd. just subtract 36 from 100....ull get the answer i.e 64.

Reaction score
to both kboss and ZainH
But Beaker B was originally 22, and when the cylinder was put into it, the temp. rose by 14, so doesn't that mean that the cylinder lost 14? Or is that just stupid and a messed up concept? lol now that i think about it, it is stupid, because the cylinder can't give 14 degrees to that water.... Ok, so basically what you're saying is that the cylinder also became 36 degrees? Ahhh in that case, i get it... thanks!

Reaction score
to both kboss and ZainH
But Beaker B was originally 22, and when the cylinder was put into it, the temp. rose by 14, so doesn't that mean that the cylinder lost 14? Or is that just stupid and a messed up concept? lol now that i think about it, it is stupid, because the cylinder can't give 14 degrees to that water.... Ok, so basically what you're saying is that the cylinder also became 36 degrees? Ahhh in that case, i get it... thanks!

Lol I think you just explained the answer to yourself :z
Your welcome x)

Reaction score

here's the link:

question 5 bii

a) 22
bi) 14

and bii) 64

how did u guys do b)i)

Reaction score
how did u guys do b)i)

The reading on the thermometer is room temperature , 22 degrees.
It says the water was at room temperature and it rises to 36 degrees, and you have to calculate the temperature rise.

36-22 = 14

Pretty simple x)

Reaction score
The reading on the thermometer is room temperature , 22 degrees.
It says the water was at room temperature and it rises to 36 degrees, and you have to calculate the temperature rise.

36-22 = 14

Pretty simple x)
omg that was soo easy....i think i read the question wrong...cuz now i get it...last time i think i read wats the temp rise in the metal...so im like...0.0

Reaction score
always water and the hot object will balance temp to get to one temp where they are both the same so.. the metals temp supposedly dropped from 100 to 36 degrees(where both water and metal are same temp) ...... so subtract 100 from 36 will give u temperature change.... For the one who asked for the question above... the temp of the beaker is 22deg and temp is now 36 after adding the metal so difference is 36-22 = 14deg.. theres a diff in rise in temp coz water has more shc