• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Biology | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
can someone please explain the hill reaction?

The Hill reaction is formally defined as the photoreduction of an electron acceptor by the hydrogens of water, with the evolution of oxygen. In vivo, or in the organism the final electron acceptor is NADP+. We can measure the rate of the Hill reaction in isolated chloroplasts. This procedure uses a dye as an artificial electron acceptor that changes color as it is reduced. DCIP (2,6-dichlorophenolindophenol) is a dye which is blue in its oxidized form and colorless in its reduced form.

Reaction score
solved all the papers...still not satisfied???? :)
didnt exactly solve them just read the question made up an answer in mind and read the marking schemes to check if my ideas were correct.....the thing is i dont come up with the required number of points to get full marks:/

Reaction score
can smbdy explain da use of a respiratory inhibitor??

respiratory chain inhibitors affect the production of ATP by uncoupling the process of ATP production that is linked to the respiratory event, i.e., stops oxidative phosphorylation . The active transport of sugars uses ATP as part of a sodium /K ATPase pump.Without the ATP being supplied this active transporter will NOT work..thus one would expect that if aborption of sugars were strongly dependent on an ATP based system then the use of a respiratory inhibitor would significantly reduce the rate of absorption for those sugars .

Reaction score
didnt exactly solve them just read the question made up an answer in mind and read the marking schemes to check if my ideas were correct.....the thing is i dont come up with the required number of points to get full marks:/
its simple..u just have to divide the 8 marks for 6 points...just say
1----the independent variable..how its controlled
2----dependent variable...how its controlled and standardised
3----the variables that have to be kept constant
4----little procedure is needed for some Qs
5----safty precautions
6----how to make it more accurate and reliable
if u answer this much correctly 6 to 7 marks for sure u will gain...

Reaction score
its simple..u just have to divide the 8 marks for five points...just say
5----safty precautions
5----how to make it more accurate and reliable
AsSalamoAlaikum wr wb!

That's exactly what I do...I mean what I understood when I once did pastpapers...!!

Reaction score
its simple..u just have to divide the 8 marks for five points...just say
5----safty precautions
5----how to make it more accurate and reliable
to add...
for accuracy...=> always some better apparatus...

for reliability => like if u have concentration as independent vaariable, say, take atleast 5 different concentrations....and with each ....repeat at least "three times" [yup not less than that, or u wont get the mark..] , take average, and plot..

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum wr wb!

That's exactly what I do...I mean what I understood when I once did pastpapers...!!
w/s wr wb...
i know i just solved hardly 3 to 4 papers and i understood this much is needed for the first Q...
2nd Q is different every year..its like kind of research you have to do...but u should be familiar with those x^2, t.test. standerd deviation.standered error,signeficant and non signeficant meanings etc...

Reaction score
to add...
for accuracy...=> always some better apparatus...

for reliability => like if u have concentration as independent vaariable, say, take atleast 5 different concentrations....and with each ....repeat at least "three times" [yup not less than that, or u wont get the mark..] , take average, and plot..
yes exactly...thats how to make it accurate and reliable..

Reaction score
its simple..u just have to divide the 8 marks for 6 points...just say
5----safty precautions
6----how to make it more accurate and reliable
i know this i learnt it from the past papers i was talking about some random 2-3 marks parts of the questions which come up sometimes anyways i hope we all do really well in p5 and come up with a good result :) Ameen!

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s09_qp_5.pdf
one more ques.
for Q no 2,why arent snails an independant variable? i mean we cant control da predation by birds right??:confused:
equal no. of banded and unbanded snails were released into both areas...means 1 area without bird and the other area with birds living there...so investigating the presence and absence of birds on the no. of snails...of course it will be the independent variable...

Reaction score
i know this i learnt it from the past papers i was talking about some random 2-3 marks parts of the questions which come up sometimes anyways i hope we all do really well in p5 and come up with a good result :) Ameen!
InshaAllah...