• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics P4 Questions ONLY

Reaction score
so4_4: Q5(d ii) Why is it 3.0A? and not 1.12A?

Hey that's totally out of our syllabus. The reason is that the graph is not a sine wave, its square wave. And for square wave, rms =I itself (you don't divide it by root2).

Dont solve old papers, im just solving from 2007, i think this is where they introduced section B (maybe a change of syllabus)

here take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

Reaction score
so4_4: Q5(a), I don´t get the anwer in the ms.

Paper is some posts above.

Its just the definition of rms with reference to the heating effect you need to learn that for the exam so probably learn from the book or somewhere.
RMS value of an ac current is that direct current value which gives the same average power as the ac current to a resistor .

SO just modify this definition and instead of power write rate of dissipation of heat energy.

Reaction score
may 2005 q 7 c pls ASAP

let x be mass of maganese in micro grams.
then,
(1.4-x)/x = 9
x=0.14 micro grams

Now use number of nucleons equation at time t equation.
N=N0* e^(lambda*t)
(0.14*10^-6 /56) *Avogdros Number = (1.4*10^-6 /56)* Avogadros Number *e^(lamda*t)

lambda=(0.693/2.6*60*60)

Now use the above equation to get the answer of 8.6 hours.

Reaction score
let x be mass of maganese in micro grams.
then,
(1.4-x)/x = 9
x=0.14 micro grams

Now use number of nucleons equation at time t equation.
N=N0* e^(lambda*t)
(0.14*10^-6 /56) *Avogdros Number = (1.4*10^-6 /56)* Avogadros Number *e^(lamda*t)

lambda=(0.693/2.6*60*60)

Now use the above equation to get the answer of 8.6 hours.

the question is worth 2 marks, isn´t there another easier way? The markscheme says something different.

Attachments

• 9702_s05_qp_4.pdf
    155.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 9702_s05_ms_4.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
the question is worth 2 marks, isn´t there another easier way? The markscheme says something different.

Its actually the same thing they just skipped all those steps and used 1/10 th of original mass which is 0.14 micro grams as i said u can do that as well but u still need to go through this process as u need to use the ratio . Its an old paper so no wonder it just gives u 2 marks for this much trouble.

Reaction score
Someone help me on Q9(all)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 9702_s09_qp_4.pdf
    160.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 9702_s09_ms_4.pdf
    94.5 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Plz someone explain these quickly thnx in advance........

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s04_qp_4.pdf for 5ci how is the ratio 2 i get the formula but im not getting the answer and for 5dii why is the rms 3A?

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w02_qp_4.pdf 2b which is actually a really easy question but im confused it would be really helpful if someone provides a drawn n labelled diagram

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w04_qp_4.pdf can anyone solve 6c with steps i cant get thru

Reaction score
Internal energy is the sum of random kinetic and potential energies at the molecular level, okay? Now, kinetic energy increases when theres an increase in temp and potential energy increases when the distance between molecules increases.
So, lets consider the first option, water freezing at constant temp. Temp constant means no change in kinetic energy, right? And freezing means molecules coming closer. So, there is a decrease in potential energy. Thus internal energy decreases.
Second option, a stone falling under gravity in vacuum, this has no effect on the molecules of an object, thus nope.
Third option, water evaporating at constant temperature. Temp is constant, no change in ke, but since in evaporation, molecules get further apart, a rose in potential energy it is indicating and thus a positive change in internal energy.
Fourth, constant temp, no change in ke. Stretching, molecules get further apart, inc in pe and thus internal energy.