• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
ok iam goin to ask u ppl a very very simple Q which u ppl r goin to lough at me but since iam not a maths student so these basic things i forgot...:pok anyways...
to change 7.8*10^3 cm3 to dm3 we have to divide it by 1000000 or 1000...:)

Reaction score
ok iam goin to ask u ppl a very very simple Q which u ppl r goin to lough at me but since iam not a maths student so these basic things i forgot...:pok anyways...

Reaction score
assalamoalaikum wr wb! :)
divide it by 1000
it's ok :p

Reaction score
umm...i didnt get what u meant :unsure: cud u plz elaborate..
My last thing is that, I cant seem to get the graph of the ac wave before it enters the diodes for full wave rectification.
Each half cycle, current direction changes, so what is the graph of the half cycle before and after it enters the diode?

Reaction score
So In full wave rectification, the diodes convert the negative half cycle of ac into positive. I thought diodes block negative values?

Reaction score
Meaning each half cycle , current direction changes? how is the graph of the current in each half cycle? and how does the diode change it?
I am sorry for all the trouble I'm causing you.
Firstly you ain't causing any trouble to me :D
You know the function of the diode...right? it conducts only when forward biased..! not when reverse biased..

bridgerectifier.gif

Now see..on the left hand side..the input changes...cuz it's alternating..so positive-negative-positive-negative...
but sincethe diodes which work chng...so the output remains the same...upper one always positive and the one below is always negatove ....

rectification 1.jpg

rectification 2.jpg

grey ones are reverse biased so don't work...
so in the end what we see is...no matter what the ac input is..negative or positive...2 of the diodes will be working..and we'll have the output...so full wave rectifier...

Reaction score
Firstly you ain't causing any trouble to me :D
You know the function of the diode...right? it conducts only when forward biased..! not when reverse biased..

bridgerectifier.gif

Now see..on the left hand side..the input changes...cuz it's alternating..so positive-negative-positive-negative...
but sincethe diodes which work chng...so the output remains the same...upper one always positive and the one below is always negatove ....

grey ones are reverse biased so don't work...
so in the end what we see is...no matter what the ac input is..negative or positive...2 of the diodes will be working..and we'll have the output...so full wave rectifier...
I understand now, but what was confusing me is that I was looking at the AC alternating voltage graph. For the first half cycle, voltage is positive, for the second half cycle, voltage is negative.
I was confused how the diodes conduct during the negative half cycle, but it seems from the diagram, that the polarity changes, so with respect to the diode it is not a negative half cycle anymore. Can you sniff my little piece of problem? But anyways , they wont ask us such details in Alevels atleast. I feel embarrassed to ask you more :oops: , due to your efforts with me. Jazak Allah Khairan and May Allah make the exam easy for you and increase blessings in your time. :D

Reaction score
So In full wave rectification, the diodes convert the negative half cycle of ac into positive. I thought diodes block negative values?
they do...

rectification-2-jpg.9260

now the ones in grey reversed biased...right...? see the red lin ...it goes through that top diode..

rectification-1-jpg.9259

in this case...it goes opposite..instead of the top one it's the diode on the right that takes he current through...

but in both cases the output on the above one is positive ;)

Reaction score
I understand now, but what was confusing me is that I was looking at the AC alternating voltage graph. For the first half cycle, voltage is positive, for the second half cycle, voltage is negative.
I was confused how the diodes conduct during the negative half cycle, but it seems from the diagram, that the polarity changes, so with respect to the diode it is not a negative half cycle anymore. Can you sniff my little piece of problem? But anyways , they wont ask us such details in Alevels atleast. I feel embarrassed to ask you more :oops: , due to your efforts with me. Jazak Allah Khairan and May Allah make the exam easy for you and increase blessings in your time. :D
i think you're still confused... :unsure: don't look at the graph ....look at the circuit and see what happens...although input is changing...polarity at the output is not..right?

waeyyakum..aameen!

May Allah make the exam easy for you too and give you the good what u desire...