• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
c i:
total energy = - GMm/2r .
when total energy 'decreases' the value of GMm/2r increases (just like -2 decreases t0 -5 ... overall value of -5 is less then -2 but the magnitude 5 is greater than 2) same as that value of GMm/2r increses when total energy decreases.. when GMm/2r increases .. r decreases .. because it is in the denominator .. get it ?

and part ii
as explained above when total energy decreases r decreases. when radius of the orbit decreases speed would increase acording to the centripetal force = (mv^2)/r .... r decreases so v increases.

Reaction score
The emf and current in the primary coil of a transformer are in phase right?
Yea right.
You earlier inquired about the graph of induced emf due to primary current, the resulting graph was derivative of changing magnetic flux, since primary current and magnetic flux have same graph, the induced emf was E=-d(phi)/dt. I hope you get it.

Reaction score
c i:
total energy = - GMm/2r .
when total energy 'decreases' the value of GMm/2r increases (just like -2 decreases t0 -5 ... overall value of -5 is less then -2 but the magnitude 5 is greater than 2) same as that value of GMm/2r increses when total energy decreases.. when GMm/2r increases .. r decreases .. because it is in the denominator .. get it ?

no :( its confusing

Reaction score
well i am awake as well still not done solving papers :( i guess mmm the unlucky one here 2 exams tommorow still havent started Maths M1.... oh well :) nvm

Reaction score
Yea right.
You earlier inquired about the graph of induced emf due to primary current, the resulting graph was derivative of changing magnetic flux, since primary current and magnetic flux have same graph, the induced emf was E=-d(phi)/dt. I hope you get it.
I just checked again, primary current and voltage on primary coil are out of phase by 90 degrees. This is because current is a followup of the voltage, where voltage leads by 90 degrees. you really dont need to know abt it.
secondary emf is out of phase (180 degrrees ) compared to primary emf.
secondary current compared to secondary emf// not too sure.

Reaction score
haha yes I also have an awkward left alone feeling when everybody goes to sleep haha.
But you and I have to get some if we want to pass hehe :D
:D

i aint sleeping now..i have to finish up application ..last 2 topics... :oops:
then revise for maths exam..both are tomorrow...and then will i think of sleeping :(

Reaction score
wooow only 2 topics i have 8 topics to cover :'(
maths i havent even started plz pray for me guys

Reaction score
well i am awake as well still not done solving papers :( i guess mmm the unlucky one here 2 exams tommorow still havent started Maths M1.... oh well :) nvm
same here..
do try nov 11 second variant for maths...i'll do it too..inshaAllah..cuz the gt for that paper is low..paper might be difficult..so to check myself..m planning to do that...

Reaction score
any advice how to revise quickly everything ^
quick joke which you most understand, how many polar orbits of an overhead satellite is required before the start of your exam?
Show ur working :D

TIPS :-
Revise definitions!
Quick read of the syllabus!
Quicky notes!
Revise only hard questions from the latest past papes!
Have a kit-kat and have a break and wait for your exam

Reaction score
haha yes I also have an awkward left alone feeling when everybody goes to sleep haha.
But you and I have to get some if we want to pass hehe :D

well I can't sleep.. I still have 4 chapters to go through.. all the pastpapers and study all of IT.. and 2 more mech pastpapers.. so I guess I'll be the only one here -_-

Reaction score

First of all thanks for putting both the mark scheme and the question paper. ^^

i) Ok let's start by thinking about this in a way not involving any calculation. We know that if two bodies are attracting each other, then as the separation between them decreases, their potential energy decrease. From there, when he told you that the total energy decreased, this must mean that r (separation) decreased.

Now using calculations: The sum of energies ( -GMm/2r ) decreased, this means the negative magnitude actually became greater. Why? Because -7 is smaller than -5 for example. This has to mean that r became smaller.

ii) From (i) we know that r decreased, and according to (b)i) K.E. = GMm/2r... R decreased so K.E. increased. Notice how the K.E. is positive and the Total Energy is negative. That's why a small radius produces less total energy but more kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is proportional to speed so speed also increased.

You can also use part (a) of this question which states that V is the root of GM/r ---> r decreased so V increased.

Hope this helped. : )

Reaction score
well I can't sleep.. I still have 4 chapters to go through.. all the pastpapers and study all of IT.. and 2 more mech pastpapers.. so I guess I'll be the only one here -_-
i'll probaby be there too :D ..may be for the next 3 hours...i so wanna finish before that so i cud wake up early tomorrow

Reaction score
First of all thanks for putting both the mark scheme and the question paper. ^^

i) Ok let's start by thinking about this in a way not involving any calculation. We know that if two bodies are attracting each other, then as the separation between them decreases, their potential energy decrease. From there, when he told you that the total energy decreased, this must mean that r (separation) decreased.

Now using calculations: The sum of energies ( -GMm/2r ) decreased, this means the negative magnitude actually became greater. Why? Because -7 is smaller than -5 for example. This has to mean that r became smaller.

ii) From (i) we know that r decreased, and according to (b)i) K.E. = GMm/2r... R decreased so K.E. increased. Notice how the K.E. is positive and the Total Energy is negative. That's why a small radius produces less total energy but more kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is proportional to speed so speed also increased.

You can also use part (a) of this question which states that V is the root of GM/r ---> r decreased so V increased.

Hope this helped. : )

awsome man thanks :D

Reaction score
quick joke which you most understand, how many polar orbits of an overhead satellite is required before the start of your exam?
Show ur working :D

TIPS :-
Revise definitions!
Quick read of the syllabus!
Quicky notes!
Revise only hard questions from the latest past papes!
Have a kit-kat and have a break and wait for your exam

dint get you there :p

Oh well any advice how to study applications as quick as possible :p others are managable but i m still having confusion with telecommunication :( its so scaryyy man