• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
can somebody please explain why have we divided the kinetic energy by 2 in Q2ii of November 2010 paper 43? we are required to calculate the temperature of the sample which contain both deteruim and protons and total kinetic energy is given then why dividing it by 2?
to find the speed of one of them only.

Reaction score
Photoelectric effect is the process where electrons are emitted from a cold metal surface when electromagnetic radiation of sufficient frequency falls on it.
It is used to show the particulate nature of particles / electrons...
Brother it is essential that we use the particulate nature of photons not of electrons.

Reaction score
cos the half life is like a million years........so in 2 days nothing will happen to activity.......cso it llll take such a long time to halve

Reaction score
no charge stored capaciotor plates store equal charge of opposite signs so no overall charge.............and energy is stored since there is a charge separation.....to separate charges like this work must have been done

thanx

Reaction score
cos the half life is like a million years........so in 2 days nothing will happen to activity.......cso it llll take such a long time to halve

that's like the most ridiculous answer I've heard all night.. think of some other reason, half life can be of a millisecond too.

Reaction score
half life doesn't have to be long.. some elements have half life of minutes even (If I remember right from the practical.. )
If the emission seems to be constant, then the half life is very long.
The number given in the question is rate of emission i.e delta N / delta t, which I think is the activity.

Reaction score
because the rate of emission of alpha particles= half life..

what's the answer in the mark scheme anyway?
Okay I got it. the answer in the marking scheme is the half-life of the source is very long or decay constant is very small. I think they mean that the half life is so huge that there will be a constant emission throughout the period before reaching half life.

Reaction score
for same substances the latent heat of vaporisation is greater then the latent heat of fusion.
esplain why??
In latent heat of fusion, the internal energy increases because the potential energy increase to break the bonds however increase kinetic energy is negligible as the separation is slow, where as in latent heat of vaporization work is done to expand the volume of liquid as well as increase the potential energy. I hope you get it.

Reaction score
Okay I got it. the answer in the marking scheme is the half-life of the source is very long or decay constant is very small. I think they mean that the half life is so huge that there will be a constant emission throughout the period before reaching half life.
OH! its caus half life= 0.693/decay constant!