• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
Can someone please help!

I don't get how to calculate the errors when you log something. Like, take these values as an example:

I (current) = 2.6 +/- 0.1 . Calculate log(I) with the absolute errors.

How would you do it?? It came in this paper, Q2b)
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s09_qp_5.pdf

uncertainty of log(I) (in this case uncertainty of log(2.6)) = log of max value (in this case 2.7) - log of normal value (in this case 2.6)

Reaction score
What is the difference between a coil and a solenoid?
Check mark scheme Nov 11 / P51 / Q1.
in solenoid: a coil is wound round a cylindrical conductor . but in coil : the coil is not wound round a cylindrical conductor . in fact it is wound around nothing but air. IN SOLENOID : there is no hollow space between the coil. IN COIL : there is hollow space between coil .

Reaction score
Hello everyone...
If it is asked to keep hall probe in axis then what to do for that...?
Dnt worry they wont give hall probe in S12_qp_05 . i know this because they gave hall probe question in W11_qp_52 which is very recent and was made just before the qp that we are going to receive in our xam . so there is very less chance the examiner will set questions that are similar to the questions of the last paper they made . i have no idea of hall probe and dont want to have any either . its just waste of my time. it would be wise to concentrate on other questions rather than hall probe questions

Reaction score
Thanks so much ! But wait a minute, the value for T is to 2dp/3sf.... so why has the ms quoted the answer to 4 dp ?????? what about 3 dp ?? ........what about the other collums like T^2 or something else for example this paper , does this rule apply to them ? if not, can you please tell me how ... also, sometimes if we quote lg's to 4 sf .... it isnt stated in the ms ? so is it correct or wrong ?

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_w08_qp_5.pdf
dnt confuse yourself with d.p just use s.f figures . i hope that helps

Reaction score
Hello there.
When we make a graph in our P5, there is always a question about calculating the Gradient.
When we calculate the gradient we have to show the 'Gradient-Triangle' which has its own marks.

The question is, when calculating uncertainty in gradient we subtract the gradient of Best fit and Worst fit. Do we have to show the 'Triangle' for the Worst fit line?

Reaction score
Hello there.
When we make a graph in our P5, there is always a question about calculating the Gradient.
When we calculate the gradient we have to show the 'Gradient-Triangle' which has its own marks.

The question is, when calculating uncertainty in gradient we subtract the gradient of Best fit and Worst fit. Do we have to show the 'Triangle' for the Worst fit line?
Just draw both triangles.

Reaction score
In designing experiment, anyone know how to create a a uniform magnetic field.
not solenoid and wire.

Reaction score
oohh ok .. thanks for telling . but how do v knw k which diagram to b made :S
that u have to decide and plus some kind of arrangement will be given sometimes...so u will get some idea about it...for those type u just have to modyfy tha diagram...

Reaction score

Attachments

• 100_2125.JPG
    100_2125.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 58