• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A2 Physics | Post your doubts here

Reaction score
???how to use light gates here exactly....i was thinking this...when Ma passes througgh 1st gate timer starts and when it reacjhes 2nd one it stops....am i correct???
Yeah but since object A is heavier, won't B be moving upwards instead so how will the light gate's motion be affected by B?

Reaction score
???how to use light gates here exactly....i was thinking this...when Ma passes througgh 1st gate timer starts and when it reacjhes 2nd one it stops....am i correct???
I would suggest the use of a motion sensor in line with the motion of mass A.
The acceleration would be deduced from the velocity time graph.

Using a light gate is also another correct approach but can be tedious while performing the experiment as you need to program them.

Reaction score
Hello, I study physics at home too!
Question one
Diagram holds marks depending on the question. Sometimes it ranges from 1-3 marks depending on how many details are required.
You dont plot a graph, you just say what to plot on the x- and y- axis and how the graph should look like.

Question 2:-
This is due to inaccuracies in your drawing. Maybe you need to practice on your line of best fit.
Maybe you are rounding the numbers and not taking accurate s.f.
Thanks so much :)

Reaction score
Hello, can someone help me with q2 b) in Winter 2010 51 please ? im having trouble understanding why the lg's in the table are quoted to 4 dp (for lg l) wheras for lg T they are quoted to 3 dp ? In most papers, usually quoting 3 dp fr lg's is sufficient, however is this why must it be 4 dp ? please help, if this comes up you will regret not helping me ! thanks so much

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_qp_51.pdf

Reaction score
Hello, can someone help me with q2 b) in Winter 2010 51 please ? im having trouble understanding why the lg's in the table are quoted to 4 dp (for lg l) wheras for lg T they are quoted to 3 dp ? In most papers, usually quoting 3 dp fr lg's is sufficient, however is this why must it be 4 dp ? please help, if this comes up you will regret not helping me ! thanks so much
http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_qp_51.pdf

Reaction score
in p5 can we write uncertainties as a percentage? it doesn't mention anything in the ms about not being allowed to do that.

Reaction score
in p5 can we write uncertainties as a percentage? it doesn't mention anything in the ms about not being allowed to do that.
i think uncertainty and percentage uncertainty are two different things .. you should write only the uncertainty because in the mark schemes the values are given for uncertainty not percentage..

Reaction score
can someone plz upload their complete solved p5 so dat i can have a complete idea of it . plzzzz.. inculding the graph.
AsSalamoAlaikum wr wb!
Check the link in my signature..i think there's a link to solved p5 for physics...

Reaction score
The number of significant figures of a number correspond to the number of decimal places of the log of that number or one more d.p.
For example x = 543.1 ---> 4 s.f -----> 4 or 5 d.p in log(543.1).
That should clear up alot.

Reaction score
The number of significant figures of a number correspond to the number of decimal places of the log of that number or one more d.p.
For example x = 543.1 ---> 4 s.f -----> 4 or 5 d.p in log(543.1).
That should clear up alot.

Thanks so much ! But wait a minute, the value for T is to 2dp/3sf.... so why has the ms quoted the answer to 4 dp ?????? what about 3 dp ?? ........what about the other collums like T^2 or something else for example this paper , does this rule apply to them ? if not, can you please tell me how ... also, sometimes if we quote lg's to 4 sf .... it isnt stated in the ms ? so is it correct or wrong ?

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_w08_qp_5.pdf

Reaction score
Thanks so much ! But wait a minute, the value for T is to 2dp/3sf.... so why has the ms quoted the answer to 4 dp ?????? what about 3 dp ?? ........what about the other collums like T^2 or something else for example this paper , does this rule apply to them ? if not, can you please tell me how ... also, sometimes if we quote lg's to 4 sf .... it isnt stated in the ms ? so is it correct or wrong ?

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_w08_qp_5.pdf
If value of T is 2 s.f then logT = 2 or 3 d.p
If value of T is 3 s.f then logT = 3 or 4 d.p
If value of T is 2 s.f then T^2 can be 2 or 3 s.f and logT^2 can be 2/3 or 3/4 d.p depending on how many s.f used my T^2.