• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Acid + metal oxide

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalam o alaikum wa rehmatullah i wa barakatuh
we warm the acid in this reaction,i remember the question that asked why do we warm the acid,i dont remember what is the answer :( please help,JazakAllahKhairan!! :)

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
Assalam o alaikum wa rehmatullah i wa barakatuh
we warm the acid in this reaction,i remember the question that asked why do we warm the acid,i dont remember what is the answer :( please help,JazakAllahKhairan!! :)

It is the same as Copper Oxide reaction with Sulphuric acid , you heat the sulphuric acid and put the copper oxide before it starts boiling , I got no idea why... Maybe copper (II) oxide doesn't break down except by indirect heat? ¬¬"

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
no..not a particular one!..It is a general rule that we add excess of oxide to warm , dilute acid!!

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
no..not a particular one!..It is a general rule that we add excess of oxide to warm , dilute acid!!

is it a soluble or insoluble oxide? , if we warm dilute acid and add excess of the oxide that means it is all about solubility!

Check this
http://wiki.one-school.net/index.php/Synthesising_Salts#Metal_Oxide_and_Acid said:
Metal Oxide and Acid

* Nearly all the metal oxides react with acids, but most require warming.
* This method is especially suitable for those metals which do not react with dilute acids. For example, copper metal has no reaction with dilute acids but copper(II) oxide, if warmed with dilute acids, forms salts.

metal oxide + acid ---> salt + water
copper(II) oxide + sulphuric acid ---> copper(II) sulphate + water
CuO (s) + H2SO4 (aq) ---> CuSO4 (aq) + H2O (1)

* We must add excess copper(II) oxide to the warm sulphuric acid so that all the acid is neutralised. *The unreacted oxide is then removed by filtering.
* The filtrate is a blue solution of copper(II) sulphate.
* The crystals are obtained by concentrating the solution by evaporation, and then leaving it to cool. *The crystals formed can be removed by filtration.
* As copper(II) sulphate crystals contain water of crystallisation, it is important not to evaporate the solution to dryness.

And I have read before that for a compound to dissolve in a solution , it requires something called ionisation energy , I think that would be obtained by heating.