• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Add Math help!

Reaction score
Could someone explain question 7 from http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International O Level/Mathematics - Additional (4037)/4037_s06_qp_2.pdf to me? It's on permutation/ combination.

Also, when do we use combination instead of permutationm and vice versa? I need exampless!
okay for the first part : it is like that : the position A and B is like that A---B or -A---B or --A---B which make 3. Okay. Then arranging A, B is 2. Then total arrangement is 3 *2 and the 5 boys can permute themselves which makes 5* 2 * 5!.

then the second is really confusing. You must not mix up flavours and sweets. lets assume it is like that: 6 different flavours so : Chocolate , Cocoa , Pine , Apple , Banana and Pear. there are 2 sweets from each FLAVOUR i.e 2 from chocolate, 2 from Pine and so on.. so from the 6 we must combine 3 which make 6C3= u evaluate. Then, from the 3 different flavours she chose 2 which make 3*2 =6 Taking one flavour, you are left with 5. So in all it is 6*5 + 6C3= u evaluate!! SImple

Reaction score
okay for the first part : it is like that : the position A and B is like that A---B or -A---B or --A---B which make 3. Okay. Then arranging A, B is 2. Then total arrangement is 3 *2 and the 5 boys can permute themselves which makes 5* 2 * 5!.

then the second is really confusing. You must not mix up flavours and sweets. lets assume it is like that: 6 different flavours so : Chocolate , Cocoa , Pine , Apple , Banana and Pear. there are 2 sweets from each FLAVOUR i.e 2 from chocolate, 2 from Pine and so on.. so from the 6 we must combine 3 which make 6C3= u evaluate. Then, from the 3 different flavours she chose 2 which make 3*2 =6 Taking one flavour, you are left with 5. So in all it is 6*5 + 6C3= u evaluate!! SImple

I still don't get it. Why do we multiply with 5 in the first part? :confused: and could you explain the 6*5 bit in the second part again? :unsure:

Reaction score
This is the most annoying question which everyone gets stuck on :( :( :( including me i had to ask my teacher to explain it twice to get the idea :p