• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Additional Mathematics help!

Reaction score
Hey everyone. i've been doing add maths past papers and so far it's been good, but i'm confused about a question in october/november 2012 paper 21, the Either part of the last question. the "twelfth" second has some significance but i don't know what it is. Can anyone explain it?

Reaction score
For the first part, just put t = 12 in the equation and find s ( displacement = distance).... as for the second part derivate the equation s because the derivative of displacement give the equation of velocity.... at instantaneous rest velocity is always equal to 0, so the equation formed would be 2t – 10 + 10/(1+t) = 0 solve the equation and you would get two values of t 4 and 0. Now the third part requires the equation of acceleration and you can get it by deriving the equation of velocity. The equation you would get is a= 2 – 10/(1+t)^2. Put t = 9 in the equation and you have the answer.......... Hope that helps and good luck for the exam........ :)

Reaction score
For the first part, just put t = 12 in the equation and find s ( displacement = distance).... as for the second part derivate the equation s because the derivative of displacement give the equation of velocity.... at instantaneous rest velocity is always equal to 0, so the equation formed would be 2t – 10 + 10/(1+t) = 0 solve the equation and you would get two values of t 4 and 0. Now the third part requires the equation of acceleration and you can get it by deriving the equation of velocity. The equation you would get is a= 2 – 10/(1+t)^2. Put t = 9 in the equation and you have the answer.......... Hope that helps and good luck for the exam........ :)

thank u for helping me toooooooooo.............

Reaction score
hey guys, i would like to ask something here. if it's given plot a graph xy against 1/x' does that mean xy is x axis and 1/x is y axis? or otherwise? thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
hey guys, i would like to ask something here. if it's given plot a graph xy against 1/x' does that mean xy is x axis and 1/x is y axis? or otherwise? thanks in advance :)
It means that xy is the y-axis and 1/x is the x-axis.

Reaction score
it says substituting 12 as t is not the fiinal answer

Sorry my bad..... :) here we have to find the distance traveled in the 12th second not 12 seconds, so subtract t=11 form t=12 and you have the answer.... :)

Reaction score
This is a question from may 2004 paper 1 ...To a cyclist travelling due south on a straight horizontal road at 7 ms01, the wind appears to be
blowing from the north-east. Given that the wind has a constant speed of 12 ms01, find the direction
from which the wind is blowing.

I always have trouble with questions about velocity and bearing. Can anyone explain the answer. I understand how they got it ( sine rule) but i don't get why :(