• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Additional Mathematics; Post some challenging questions here

Reaction score
I'm unable to solve a relative velocity question. Have a try at it and post your solution here.
Q. A footballer C runs at a speed of 5 m/s, with the ball close to his feet, in a straight line towards the point (0,0). At the instant when he passes through the point (15,20), another footballer D starts to run in a straight line, at 8.5 m/s, from the point (-27,20) at an angle θ as shown in the diagram. Given that D intercepts the ball, and that the given coordinates are in metres, find
(a) the value of θ,
(b) the velocity of D relative to C,
(c) the time taken by D to intercept the ball.
22.png

Reaction score
I'm unable to solve a relative velocity question. Have a try at it and post your solution here.
Q. A footballer C runs at a speed of 5 m/s, with the ball close to his feet, in a straight line towards the point (0,0). At the instant when he passes through the point (15,20), another footballer D starts to run in a straight line, at 8.5 m/s, from the point (-27,20) at an angle θ as shown in the diagram. Given that D intercepts the aball, and that the given coordinates are in metres, find
(a) the value of θ,
(b) the velocity of D relative to C,
(c) the time taken by D to intercept the ball.
Where is the diagram?

Reaction score
Ok here's another one:
The position vectors of points A and B, relative to an origin O, are 2i + 4j and 6i + 10j respectively. The position vector of C, relative to O, is ki + 25j, where k is a positive constant.
(i) Find the value of k for which the length of BC is 25 units.

I know that the value of k is 26. But why do we reject the other solution i.e. -14 ?

Reaction score
Yeah I know how to work out the first part. Are you getting the answers to the subsequent parts right? Because my answers are 10.4 m/s and 4 s, which do not match with the correct answers.
Btw thanks for taking interest.:)

yeah me too getting same answers as urs!!!

Reaction score
Ok here's another one:
The position vectors of points A and B, relative to an origin O, are 2i + 4j and 6i + 10j respectively. The position vector of C, relative to O, is ki + 25j, where k is a positive constant.
(i) Find the value of k for which the length of BC is 25 units.

I know that the value of k is 26. But why do we reject the other solution i.e. -14 ?

the question says "where k is a positive constant." :p