• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Advice for Urdu, Islamiat and Pak. Studies CIE?

Reaction score
Title says it all. If there's any veteran of CIE out there who can share a useful bit of experience or advice regarding these examinations or subjects, pile it on in this thread. It'd really be useful to me and others who have just over 20 days to prepare for our first CIE's.

As for me, I'm absolutely terrified about how well I'll do. So, if there's anything regarding these subjects that you think may guide us in the right direction, or give us a leg-up or otherwise help us get A's, please please please share.

Reaction score
I assume you're talking about Urdu second language. Answers for comprehension must be in context which means use your own words and do not copy paste from the passage. With the exception of 1 or 2 marks qsts that would probably need a copy paste. Follow the word limit in the summary question and again use your words as far as possible without changing the meaning of the text. Essays need to be focuse on the topic. Do not use very super heavy duty vocabulary. NOT NEEDED. To be very honest. Its a "second" language paper.

Pak Studies, leave the last section. Prepare uptil Quaid-e-Azam only. Beyond that follow the command words of the question. You must have gone through examiner reports. (not to mention past papers!). Focus on quality and not quantity.

For 14 marks it goes like this:

1-To the point introduction (brief)

2-Reason + explanation
3-Reason + explanation
4-Reason + explanation
5-Reason + explanation
6-Reason + explanation

No need to provide more than 7. And always consider both sides of the question, for example if its about which person out of the following 3 was most successful in the revival of Islam then discuss all 3.

Finally, a conclusion which shows balancing of probabilities and hence judgement.

14/14 guaranteed.

For Islamiat. Well the marking style has been modified now, since i gave it 2 years back. So, basically its about how much you knw your facts right. And how much work you have done in terms of papers technique and practice. The remaining tips remain the same, context, command words, explain is different than describe and quality over quantity.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
Zohaib, thanks so much.

I want to ask some things though, why only focus till end of section 2? This year they've included the 1990-onward prime ministers so I was actually concentrating on that. Also, last year, the entire paper was based on Section 1 and 2, so our teachers have advised us to focus mostly on Section 3. Also, in studying idioms for my Urdu mid-terms, pre-mocks and mocks, I never quite seemed to study the right ones from the 220+ idioms in our syllabus and lost 1-4 marks on paper 2 vocab each time. Is there a pattern about what to concentrate on?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
For idioms although i remember we had done dozens of them. But just go through the idioms that start with Alif-mada, Alif, Jeem, seen, laam. They include some common ones. Apart from them see the past years papers. They give really easy ones.

For History most of the people attempt the first three qsts. They'll always be from the earlier parts of the syllabus. And in the past the first three have been frequently the most highly attempted/scored ones as reported by examiners. Though, if you feel you have time and feel comfortable with the later part of the syllabus than there's no harm in keeping a choice open for yourself. In the end what will matter will be the way you answer. If you feel you have a better, deeper understanding of the later parts then to them. That will solely be your own decision.

Back to urdu second language... If you're expecting a B you'll get an A, if you're expecting an A you'll get A*. Just go with a relaxed mind. Do 5 past papers with ms and examiner report. And chill.

Reaction score
I've read on the syllabus that to score 8-10/10 in Islamiat you need
lvl 4 Excellent. A thorough, well-developed and substantial response.
Demonstrates extensive, relevant and highly accurate knowledge of
the subject in considerable detail and with evident expertise. Likely to
quote Qur’an verses and Hadiths to support and illustrate points made.
Comprehensive and thoughtful.
I was wondering how to make my answer achieve all these objectives. I know to try to always support points with quotes(but not exactly how many and in which cases quotes MUST be given). I don't know what they mean by an answer that is 'well-developed' or written 'with evident expertise' or how to make it 'thoughtful'(am I supposed to apply examples or my opinion for full marks?). I've tried looking in solved past papers but my teacher has already advised us to burn them and never use them for more than facts because the answers in them are incredibly sloppy and impossibly long to write. So, it'd be nice to know just how many points, quotes and paragraphs are required for full marks in the 10 marks and 4 marks Qs.

So what is the best format and answering technique for a 10/10 or 4/4 answer in Islamiat?

Reaction score
First thing: Your teacher has said right. Second thing, a developed answer will be that will not just mention facts but use his own wordings to convey the effectiveness of these facts in context of the question, where 4-5 relevant quotes stated in quotation marks (no need of source) and then explained how do these relate to your answer are the best way to get full marks. There's no one strategy in writing this, its about practice and how much you can think beyond what is written in the book.

Reaction score
Getting level 4 marks in part (b) question for suras

Briefly explain how each passage presents its theme in a distinctive way?
Well there are two words which we have to focus on theme and distinctive.
Theme is rather easier as you have described it in the previous part. so what we are left with is the word distinctive.
Distinctive means unique or how it is different from a particular thing.
So what we have to do is to compare the theme with another passage in the syllabus that mentions the same theme. After mentioning this we have to explain how each passage presents its theme in a different way from the other.
One other thing we have to add is to discuss what do the teachings contained in the verse means.
For hadith part b it’s different. There are actually 3 ways in which one could answer the question.
1.giving abstract explanations
2.giving ref. to quranic verse or another hadith and clearly working out the relationship between the hadis in question and the reference you gave in your answer.
3.giving illustrative examples(Can be from prophet’s life) and then clearly drawing a link between the hadis asked in question
I HOPE U WILL FIND IT EASY.THERE'S NO NEED FOR GIVIN IMPORTANCE TO THIS QUESTION SO MUCH AS IT CAN BE DONE THROUGH GENERAL KNOWLEDGE ABT ISLAM

Reaction score
Heya!

Am studying Isl on my own .. doing past pprs and checking them through mark scheme...
can anyone tell me the differences between these two thing ys in hadith part ( P2)
a) describe their teachings about what Muslims believe
(b) explain how Muslims can put these teachings into action.

Like a) is Belief but on mark scheme it says : TEACHING :mad:
b) is?
what to write in B part .... A ) as much i understood is Muslim Belief about Hadith and its saying ...
HELP please !

Reaction score
in B part u can use other hadis and compare; u can quote example appropraite to hadis from ur experience or HOLY PROPHET[S.A.W] LIFE.CHEK OUT MY ATTACHMENT IT Ansers for both hadis nd sura.

Reaction score
Zohaib Sherazi said:
First thing: Your teacher has said right. Second thing, a developed answer will be that will not just mention facts but use his own wordings to convey the effectiveness of these facts in context of the question, where 4-5 relevant quotes stated in quotation marks (no need of source) and then explained how do these relate to your answer are the best way to get full marks. There's no one strategy in writing this, its about practice and how much you can think beyond what is written in the book.

I don't think we need 4-5 quotations in one answer. I only wrote one quotation in each answer and was able to get A*. Though I agree with you that there are many ways to write our answer....

TSZ

Reaction score
I wud agree wid rehan751 dat dere is no need 2 write 4-5 quotations. 2 are more dan enough but u have to link them very well wid da' question 2 get high marks.

Reaction score
hassam said:
in B part u can use other hadis and compare; u can quote example appropraite to hadis from ur experience or HOLY PROPHET[S.A.W] LIFE.CHEK OUT MY ATTACHMENT IT Ansers for both hadis nd sura.

thanks for the help... but i actually want to know ... (B) the question states *ACTIONS*
and what does this actually means ? :?

Reaction score
aoa i am in a baffling situation plz tell me dat can we answer our geo pakstudies paper in points?
plz do tell me!

Reaction score
I need serious help as i will be givin ma CIE papers this year nd m like hell...
i'll be giving my send-ups in Dec nd i find islamiat the hardest.I tried getting help from my teacher but he says that he'll prepare us for the CIE after the send-ups and that we should not worry about it now.In the assisments she keeps flunking most of the class for no reason saying that it will help us study.
I need advices on how to prepare for the CIE.

Reaction score
Assalam-O-Alaikum

I don't knw wht I'm doin... if zohaib sherazi can see this( if not send it to him whoever recieves this) or reply anyone who wants to help.

dude hw am i supposed to follow ur way of answering 14 marks questions whn this comes up?
Which of the following was the most imp reason for the collapse of the mughal empire?
a) The size of the empire
b) Succession disputes
c) The arrival of the British
Explain ur ans with reference to all 3 above
Wht do i write in intro n WTF? shud be written in conclusion... ur way was really helpful but if a sample i mean " bana banaya ans mil jaye" to tyt hai
I've written this ans on my own... plz tell me my mistakes... my prayers be with u always

(Intro)
The size of the empire and succession disputes were to some extent responsible but the greatest contributor to the Mughal empire's collapse was the arrival of the british.

(reasons, i have no idea if this is enough explaination) ( 6 reasons given )

The huge empire led to poor management as there were poor telecommunications.The situation in every part cud not be known altogether.
Some officials, due to enormous wealth, became highly powerful. Some even assasinated emperors. Due to this, administrative efficiency declined.
There were many different communities in the area. There were many rebellions and decisive action could not be taken for many months.Huge sums were wasted on military costs.
Great wealth meant greater laziness which had now become dominant among the nobility. They neglected the principles of Islam and became pleasure seeking as well as extravagant, spending too much money on food, clothes and buildings.
Laws for distribution of inheritance had not been established among the emperor's heirs. This led to significant in- fighting accompanied by loss of money and lives.
The British had arrived in the sub-continent. This was the time whn there was an Industrial Revolution taking place in Britain. Cheap manufactured goods sold at high prices and trade with India had made financially made them so powerful tht they cud afford a military strength tht the Mughals cud not match.

(Conclusion)
Thus, the arrival of the British was the main reason for its collapse as they appeared to diminish even the least chances of survival.

plz help...Thx to Allah and thx to u.

Reaction score
It wud also be a great help if sumone told me wht type of questions can come for each chapter n if past papers for pak studies r really worth studying .... thx Allah n thx to u

Reaction score
Q: Why was the EIC interested in India?

Traders reported evidence of immense wealth in the sub-Continent which led to the EIC
establishing a trading base there since they saw a profitable future.

It also wanted to establish its influence in the sub-Continent and to oust the Dutch and Portuguese.

The EIC also wanted to establish a strategic port in the sub-continent that would protect its trading
interests there.

This was the explains reasons part of the paper's marking scheme...
1_Enough for 7/7 marks?
2_BS?

If 2 wht is the correct answer? plz help me dudes