• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Ambiguity of the term 'redox' reaction?

Reaction score
I'm not gonna say why I'm asking this all of the sudden,

but I just have a doubt whether the reaction has to involve both reduction and oxidation.

From wikipedia,

Redox (shorthand for REDuction-OXidation) reactions describe all chemical reactions in which atoms have their oxidation number (oxidation state) changed. This can be either a simple redox process, such as the oxidation of carbon to yield carbon dioxide (CO2) or the reduction of carbon by hydrogen to yield methane (CH4), or a complex process such as the oxidation of sugar (C6H12O6) in the human body through a series of complex electron transfer processes

So if a species is reduced, are we to say it underwent a redox reaction cuz its oxidation number has been changed?

Plz clarify this.. thanks

Reaction score
according to our sylabus nd the defs in teachers notes.. redox is a reaction in which both oxidation nd reduction take place at the same time.. not only oxidation or reduction....................such reactions are called OXIDATION OR REDUCTION Reactions .............As in organic.. Its oxidation of alkene etc........... 8) lolx

Reaction score
Gooners is correct....actually..in a reaction, if there's oxidation and reduction taking place..then that is called redox...actually..if as u said...oxidation of C to CO2....now look over here..actually we called this oxidation....actually..the C is oxidised by oxygen...which means oxygen is reduced....Key point is...Oxidising agent oxidises other compound and itself gets reduced....now here's a reaction..

C+O2----->CO2, the Oxidation state of C changes from 0 to +4 which means it gets oxidised..whereas there's a oxygen too...from 0 to -2...it gets reduced..so its redox...actually..in every reaction..if one is oxidised.other self gets reduced!!!