• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

are u smart enuf to answer?

Reaction score
Well its a phy P4 question___ can any one tell if two bodiez are placed at a certain distance___Both hav charge of +4.5C____ if an electron placed between them____ willl the potential at the centre b zero___or vector sm??????

plz anz___ thankz :!: :shock: :?:

Reaction score
potential wont be zero
u find two potentials but its like the potential
as it is potential
just the differnce

Reaction score
i think net potential will be zero......
not so sure..coz physics has gone..i m trying to forget it :D

Reaction score
princesszahra said:
potential wont be zero
u find two potentials but its like the potential
as it is potential
just the differnce
same charges__sam distance!!!difference zero!!!???

Reaction score
potential is scalar, so you can just add up. Since the charges are both positive, it will not be zero, it will double as the potential of each one. If d is the separation between them, then the potential is equal to: 2*(kq/(d/2)).

I forgot to notice that you are bringing in a third charge ( a negatively charged electron) to the center where you want to caculate the potential. This complicate matters as the potential due to the electron on the same spot will go to infinity!

Probably what you want is the potential energy of the three charge system, then it is a different answer. Let me know.

Reaction score
potential can only be zero if the two charges are opposite in polarity ..
positive charges give rise to +ve potentials and hence net potential is the equivalent of the sum of potential due to both the charges :roll: