• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Are your friends taking you to heaven or hell?

Reaction score
friend.jpg

Friends can bring great joy and happiness to one’s life and good friendship can last a lifetime. But just as such relationships can be a source of goodness, so could they bring about harm in many ways. In a common narration, it is reported that the Messenger of Allah, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said:

"The parable of a good friend and a bad friend is like that of a carrier of musk and a blacksmith. The carrier of musk will give you some, or you will buy some, or you will notice a good smell; but as for the blacksmith, he will burn your clothes or you will notice a bad smell." (Sahih Muslim, Hadith 6692)

Such is the beautiful similitude given to us to show how friendship can impact either positively or negatively on our lives. It gives a pointer as to what direction one’s live can take by having certain friends, either the fragrant garden or the hot burning abode.

But it is an important choice to make, showing awareness and critical judgment, such as when making a decision to buy a dream asset or make a big investment. And yes, that’s what a friend could be – a priceless investment for the future or a source of regret, just as a saying goes: Company makes a man; company marks a man – so choose your friends wisely!

Show me your friends
Who are your friends? Are they the 500+ people on your facebook or blackberry profile; or your good ol’clique from school; or the ever present neighbourhood bunch; or the reliable childhood buddies?

In today’s world of global networking and social media, friendship has taken on a new meaning, evolving to different dimensions daily. But our shining example should remain that of our beloved Prophet, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, who advised us (as narrated by Abu Hurayrah) that,

‘A person follows the religion of his friend; therefore let each of you look carefully at whom he chooses for friends’. [Tirmidhi]

But are you taking heed and watching out? Take a moment to ponder. When you look at your friend(s), do you like what you see, of faith, worship, character, obedience & submission? They will be a huge reflection of yourself and the likely path you will take sooner or later. Remember the saying of a famous poet, "Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are"!

Making a decision
It is inevitable with time, that people begin to pick up some of the language and mannerisms of their friends; habits, dress sense and even jokes. But is it equally easy to escape the temptations of a bad friend? If the heart is clean, then one will leave all that is disliked but if its rusty, then one may sink even further into the bad ways.

On this journey of life, it is good to stop and reflect. Think about all the things we own of material possessions and know that a time will come when it will cease to exist. The end will surely come and the countless blessings - flowers, fun, and friends will no longer be around.

Even relationships will be cut off on the day of resurrection. And then will come the questioning. Indeed we will be questioned about our friends and the good ol’ times spent together. So be prepared! Question yourself before you get questioned.

Best of friend
Here are a few questions to begin pondering?

Can you make it through life without your friend(s)? Is your character getting better or worse from your friendships? What value do you place on such friendships?

People make friends easily with people they have something in common with, whether it’s a hobby, being on the same course or committee, living in the same locality or age group; and find it easy spending time together, sharing and caring. But in addition to this, and most importantly should be the commonality of abiding by the divine laws.

Allah is our first guardian and friend, followed by the Prophet, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam and then the pious believers. The most rewarding friendship will come from holding firmly onto the divine book (Qur’an) – containing the speech of Allah, subhaana wa ta'aala and also the sunnah of our beloved Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam.

Allah is Able to do all things – He alone guides and can turn the hearts of His slaves, so hold on firmly to that friendship manual.

Great Reward

Umar ibn al-Khattab reported the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam as saying:
There are people from the servants of Allah who are neither prophets nor martyrs; the prophets and martyrs will envy them on the Day of Resurrection for their rank from Allah, the Most High.

They (the people) asked: Tell us, Apostle of Allah, who are they? He replied: They are people who love one another for the spirit of Allah (i.e. the Qur'an), without having any mutual kinship and giving property to one. I swear by Allah, their faces will glow and they will be (sitting) in (pulpits of) light. They will have no fear (on the Day) when the people will have fear, and they will not grieve when the people will grieve.

He then recited the following Qur'anic verse:

"Behold! Verily for the friends of Allah there is no fear, nor shall they grieve." (Dawud: Hadith 3520)

Soul searching
Is it difficult to see where success lies? Which qualities do you seek in a friend? Which of the following which do you think is more benefiting in a friendship and why?

Ø Good or Bad character

Ø Humility or Arrogance

Ø Enjoining the right & forbidding the wrong or Bad advice

Ø Permissible (Halaal) fun or Forbidden activities

Ø Sincere concern or Heedlessness

Ø Obedience to Allah or Not being concerned with worship

Ø Aiding to do good or Causing conflicts in other relationships (eg with spouse, parents)

Ø Calling to remembrance of Allah or Calling to bad (foul language, movies)

Ø Attending blessed gatherings or Spending too much time doing unbeneficial things

Ø Love for the sake of Allah or Love based on worldly matters (looks, wealth, reputation)

Win - Win
Our lives are filled with trials, one of which is being in relationships. Friends can be very important yet it is quite easy to form and remain in friendships for all the wrong reasons. We must remember that our first duty is to be obedient to Allah subhaana wa ta'aala.

Friends are valuable when they aid each other to stay on the right path – the path of obedience to Allah subhaana wa ta'aala. It is equally important to think about the role you play in a friendship. Remember when the Prophet (SAW) was escaping from Makkah and said to his friend "Don’t be scared, Allah is with us". What better source of comfort and remembrance of Allah in a time of trial!

Be that friend you seek and be moderate in the love of your friend. And remember, it is up to each person to decide, where they are heading with their friendships – Paradise or Hell! There is no third destination.

‘’O my people, this worldly life is only [temporary] enjoyment, and indeed, the Hereafter - that is the home of [permanent] settlement.’’ Q40:39

Source: Habibi Halaqas

Reaction score
May Allah reward you with good! Aameen... this is a really nice article.. well worth the read...! (y)
May Allah give us righteous company in this life and the next.. Aameen.
Aameen! and to you too..
All credit goes to the writer of the article in HabibiHalaqas..
Aameen..

Was just thinking about a thread like this few days ago...... good work :) (y)
JazakAllah
Waiyyakum..

Reaction score
Wallahi sis ! Really really like it....(y)
May Allah bless u for this article.....Jazakallah Khairun..... :)
May Allah forgive us and and give ability to work on right ! Ameen
I've gone through all these stages that's why never had any friend , but now I have 4 friends...Even though there r many who I can make friends....but my habits, the way of talking and thinking is totally different from them....
That's why when they use foul lang for teacher or for me or for my friends...I really can't control my temper.....but Alhamdulillah...resisting them..And I've to do untill I don't complete my studies...
Even though it once led to a fight.....but I hope that this year this won't happen... Alhamdulillah Allah Helped to control my temper.....Bcuz when I lose my temper...everything turns worst....bcuz if I hit some one with my hand, it will turn worst for sure.... I've tried once on my bro and his blood started coming :( ...and then I never slapped anyone...

Reaction score
Very true!.
Many of my friends are taking me to hell so i might as well reconsider my choice of friends.
May Allah help you with it..Aameen..

Wallahi sis ! Really really like it....(y)
May Allah bless u for this article.....Jazakallah Khairun..... :)
May Allah forgive us and and give ability to work on right ! Ameen
I've gone through all these stages that's why never had any friend , but now I have 4 friends...Even though there r many who I can make friends....but my habits, the way of talking and thinking is totally different from them....
That's why when they use foul lang for teacher or for me or for my friends...I really can't control my temper.....but Alhamdulillah...resisting them..And I've to do untill I don't complete my studies...
Even though it once led to a fight.....but I hope that this year this won't happen... Alhamdulillah Allah Helped to control my temper.....Bcuz when I lose my temper...everything turns worst....bcuz if I hit some one with my hand, it will turn worst for sure.... I've tried once on my bro and his blood started coming :( ...and then I never slapped anyone...
Waiyyaki.. but I am not the author of the article.. I shared it from the source Habibihalaqas..
May Allah bless the friendship of your friends and you and make it easy for you to control your temper..Aameen..

I believe it all depend on us to choose good friends or bad friends.Like if we start to do misdeeds in bad company then its our fault.
Yes, true that. May Allah protect us..Aameen..

Reaction score
may Allah reward u, this article is really gr8......u seem to have alot of knowledge about this...............i guess u can help me with a problem,,,,i think i really dnt knw wht frndship is, seriously no 1 today knws wht frndship is and every1 calls a popular person his or her friend just on the basis of knwing each other,,bt i disagree, plx xplain wht frndship mean ACTUALLY. m an easy going guy and to be precise, if u ask anyone in my school about me, theyll always tell u tht they do lyk me but I feel i have no friends..u getting it? most of the people like me, and i know tones of ppl in my school and unlike many, tonnes of people know whu i am(quite active in co-curricular activities etc) but if u ask me abt friends,, mayb none!
I am not the author of this article.. all credit goes to the writer in HabibiHalaqas..
This is what true friendship is..
12%2B-%2B1