• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

As & A level Mathematics

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new in As & A level system, so am wondering if it is possible to take both As & A levels math in the same year ?
how many papers for As & A levels should i take to complete each of them?
Are both have the same syllabus ? if not what extra is needed ?
overall, i need any information about them which would help me to decide what should i take ?

Reaction score
aoa,plz tel me why we subtract basic angle from pi in complex num? and how to draw loci in argand diagram?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new in As & A level system, so am wondering if it is possible to take both As & A levels math in the same year ?
how many papers for As & A levels should i take to complete each of them?
Are both have the same syllabus ? if not what extra is needed ?
overall, i need any information about them which would help me to decide what should i take ?

Hello!
There are 2papers for AS and two papers for A2. So total four papers.
You have to take the P units. P1 for AS and (P2 and P3 for A2 - actually P2 is part of P3 so in the latter you can just sit for P3)
Then there is M1 and M2 (Mechanics1 and further part of Mechanics)
And finally S1 and S2(Statistics1 and further part of it)

All of it have a more elaborated syllabus in the latter parts like, P3, M2, S2.
You can choose to give M1 and S1 or M1 and M2 or S1 and S2.
It totally depends on you. What you want to do or not.

In AS, you will have to give P1 and with it either M1 or S1
In A2, you will give P3 and with it either M1 or S1 or M2 or S2.

The syllabus is big enough and you really need to do a lot of hardwork to get it done. It is possible to give it in one year if you had Additional Maths in your O's and are good at maths. :p

If not then you should take your time and do it like this, in this year's may you can give your AS exam and in the may of next year give your A2.

You should check the syllabus out at Cambridge's website