• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS and A Level subjects selection

Reaction score
I have currently finished my IGCSEs with 6A*s (Math, Chem, Bio, Phy, ICT, English as a 2L), 1A (Sociology) and O Levels with 2As (Pakistan Studies and Islamiyat). I am not sure whether to take up 3 or 4 subjects at AS level starting this year. I have started liking Math but I do have some interest in Bio too and I would take Physics and Chemistry for sure. Is 4 A levels a lot of pressure? Do I have to give up on all of my leisure/free time? Will I manage to get As and A*s? Please suggest.

Reaction score
There are people who take upto 8 a levels and never get worried ...
..... This question can only be answered by you because it depends on you !

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I have currently finished my IGCSEs with 6A*s (Math, Chem, Bio, Phy, ICT, English as a 2L), 1A (Sociology) and O Levels with 2As (Pakistan Studies and Islamiyat). I am not sure whether to take up 3 or 4 subjects at AS level starting this year. I have started liking Math but I do have some interest in Bio too and I would take Physics and Chemistry for sure. Is 4 A levels a lot of pressure? Do I have to give up on all of my leisure/free time? Will I manage to get As and A*s? Please suggest.

Just take all four. You can drop one in A2 if it's too much for you.

Reaction score
It totally depends on you. My friend got 8A*'s and an A in O-Level. He took Math, Phy, Chem and Bio in AS and got 3A's and a B. The B was in Maths and was largely due to him being unable to devote time for a proper Maths prep. But since he's aspiring to be a doctor, he naturally focused more on Bio. I too took up 4 subjects, and Alhamdulliah got 4A's. But my extra was Computer Science, which obviously does not share the same workload as Bio, plus I hope to enter the Computer Sciences field so for me, Comp wasn't an extra, it was an essential subject. So in hindsight, it can be done, but it depends on what career path you wish to take up and how much time you can devote/how hardworking you are. So get your feet wet and if you feel you can do it, then go for it! Good luck!