• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

~AS Bio doubts Here !!~

Reaction score
arsimme said:
Can any body tell me definition of fluid musaic ? exact definition i want plz plz help me :)
you mean to say "Fluid mosaic model"
the word Fluid refers to the individual phospholipids and the protein molecules move around within the layer. The word "mosaic" describes the pattern produced by the scattered protein molecule. when the surface of the membrane is viewed from top

Reaction score
nidzzz09 said:
arsimme said:
Can any body tell me definition of fluid musaic ? exact definition i want plz plz help me :)
the word Fluid refers to the individual phospholipids and the protein molecules move around within the layer. The word "mosaic" describes the pattern produced by the scattered protein molecule. when the surface of the membrane is viewed from top
ya thanx for it. but i wanted to know wot is the roles of phospholipids, cholestrol, proteins , glycolipids and glycoproteins.

Reaction score
arsimme said:
nidzzz09 said:
arsimme said:
ya thanx for it. but i wanted to know wot is the roles of phospholipids, cholestrol, proteins , glycolipids and glycoproteins.
hey btw which book do yu study from ...

Reaction score
can u plzzzzz explain :
describe the structure of RNA and DNA and explain the importance of base pairing and hydrogen
bonding; :(

Reaction score
hey why r more branched molecules broken down at a quicker rate ? lke glycogen which has similar structure to amylopectin breaks down at faster rate in animal cell

Reaction score
nidz : I study frm compiled notes given frm my skool and frm mary jones book ..wbu ?

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me two ways in which tetracycline can affect V. cholerae ?
explain why tetracycline shud not b used routinely for all cases of cholera ?

Guys plx help :)

Reaction score
Question:
Suggest two ways in which tetracycline can affect V. cholerae.

bacteriostatic/stop growth/cell wall synthesis/ cell membrane synthesis;stops division/protein synthesis/transcription;disrupts cell wall/membrane function;disrupts translation/DNA replication;acts as enzyme inhibitor;causes lysis;

Question:
Explain why tetracycline should not be used routinely for all cases of cholera.

resistance of bacterium;may recover with oral rehydration only;immune

well if yu want more info http://www.dr-evans.com/advancedbiology ... oleraa.htm

if yu dont understand the answer.... i will explain :)

Reaction score
arsimme said:
nidz : I study frm compiled notes given frm my skool and frm mary jones book ..wbu ?
Rght same.... but lke mary jones enugh rght n de pastppr

Reaction score
loolx na na i got ur answers and thanx a lot for it.. :)

btw u r As student or A level ?

Reaction score
can u plzzzzz explain :
describe the structure of RNA and DNA and explain the importance of base pairing and hydrogen
bonding; :cry:

Reaction score
nidzzz09 said:
arsimme said:
ooh haha so u mean i shud not thank u ? :p
ofc You shud :p
hey listen what this prosthetic group attached to Amino acids in haemoglobin
Prosthetic groups

The majority of proteins are assisted in their functions by a prosthetic group. This may a simple metal ion such as zinc in the enzyme carboxypeptidase, or it may be a complex organic molecule, such as the haem group in haemoglobin.

BTw is it included in syllabus ?

Reaction score
paridhi shobhana said:
can u plzzzzz explain :
bonding; :cry:
The structure of RNA

Ribonucleic acid (RNA) is also a polynucleotide. The chain of nucleotides is formed in exactly the same way as in DNA, but the molecule has some very important differences:

It is a single stranded molecule.
The pyrimidine Thymine never occurs but is always replaced by Uracil, another pyrimidine. (Think "No cup of T for U!")
It is much smaller than DNA.

DNA is a polymer of nucleotides.

Nucleotides are made up of:

a phosphate.
a sugar - deoxyribose.
a base - either adenine, guanine, thymine or cytosine.
In DNA the sugar is always the same but each nucleotide will have only of the four nitrogenous bases. The phosphate sugar and base are linked together

Reaction score
arsimme said:
nidzzz09 said:
arsimme said:
ooh haha so u mean i shud not thank u ? :p
ofc You shud :p
hey listen what this prosthetic group attached to Amino acids in haemoglobin
Prosthetic groups

The majority of proteins are assisted in their functions by a prosthetic group. This may a simple metal ion such as zinc in the enzyme carboxypeptidase, or it may be a complex organic molecule, such as the haem group in haemoglobin.

BTw is it included in syllabus ?
I guess its written in pg 35 on mary jones book what does it mean its nt made of amino acid i mean isnt part of amino acid already

Reaction score
Adding to that,

the pentose sugar in a DNA doesn't have an oxygen (somewhere) ...so its called "Deoxyribose" (DNA~ Deoxyribonucleic acid)
)
In case of RNA, it does have that missing oxygen... so its called "Ribose!" (Ribonucleic acid)