• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS BIOLOGY P-33

Reaction score
When constructing tables for,say, volume of gas produced with time for an enzyme catalyzed reaction, are we supposed to keep the no of dp same for time, like we do in physics, or sf? I personally think we should keep the dp same since time is the independent variable here but im not sure..

Reaction score
How do we do a serial dilution. plzzz

Well there are three ways as far as i know.I'll be showing you all three.

1) C1V1= C2V2where C1 is the concentration given , V1 is the volume of the concentration given, C2 is the concentration you want to make AND V2 is the TOTAL volume of the solution.Well, if for example you're given a 40% concentration say for example of copper sulphate solution,and you want to make a 30% concentration of copper sulphate.
You were asked to keep the total volume of your solution at 10cm3.
This is how it works: 40 x V1 = 30 x 10
V1 or the volume of the 40% solution that you should use is 7.5 cm3.
NOW, the volume of water will simply be 10-7.5 which is equal to 2.5cm3

2) If you are to half the concentration every time, example 40,20,10,5.
Then, this is the method.

you simpl take 10cm3 of the 40% concentration and add an equal volume of water (10cm3)
Voila,your 20% solution is ready!
3) if you are to reduce the concentration given by a ffactor of ten (i.e divide by 10) example 3% to 0.3 % you simply add 1cm3 of the concentration given (3%) + 9cm3 of water!

I hope that was clear enough.I've tried to simplify it as much as possible.

Reaction score
When constructing tables for,say, volume of gas produced with time for an enzyme catalyzed reaction, are we supposed to keep the no of dp same for time, like we do in physics, or sf? I personally think we should keep the dp same since time is the independent variable here but im not sure..

I do think we're supposed to keep them same.Not quite sure though.