• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this question 39 from 07 nov.
anyone Untitled 1.png Please explain!!!!!

the answer is supposed to be B

MY EXAM IS IN ONE HOUR PLEASE HELLLLLLP!!!!

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this question 39 from 07 nov.
anyone View attachment 12969 Please explain!!!!!

the answer is supposed to be B

MY EXAM IS IN ONE HOUR PLEASE HELLLLLLP!!!!
Due to increased amounts of dust, less sunlight reaches producers. Due to insufficient sunlight, the producers die. As the populations of producers decreases, the populations of the consumers will also decrease (food chain). As there are more dead organisms, there will be more decomposers (more proteins converted to ammonia) and hence, more nitrifying bacteria (which convert ammonia to nitrates). Hence, the correct option is B. :)

Reaction score
Due to increased amounts of dust, less sunlight reaches producers. Due to insufficient sunlight, the producers die. As the populations of producers decreases, the populations of the consumers will also decrease (food chain). As there are more dead organisms, there will be more decomposers (more proteins converted to ammonia) and hence, more nitrifying bacteria (which convert ammonia to nitrates). Hence, the correct option is B. :)

THANKYOU SOOOO MUCH FOR THIS SIMPLE INTELLIGENT EXPLANATION!!!!!!!!!
I get it know thankssss!!
GODBLESS :)

Reaction score
Q7 Turgid plant tissue is placed in a solution which has the same solute potential as the contents of
the cells. The diagram shows a cell after one hour.
Which equation describes the value of the pressure potential for this cell?
A pressure potential = solute potential of the cell
B pressure potential = solute potential of the external solution
C pressure potential = water potential of the cell
D pressure potential = zero

why is the answer D? its from winter 03

Reaction score
Q13 How does increasing substrate concentration affect the rate of an enzyme-catalysed reaction in
the presence of a competitive inhibitor?
A) The rate of the reaction decreases.
B) The rate of the reaction decreases initially and then recovers.
C) The rate of the reaction increases.
D) The rate of the reaction is not affected.

why is the answer C? please help

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain this one point?
I read in a book that the plasmodium which causes Malaria can pass form the mother to the fetus via the placenta. But in one question, the mark scheme said that malaria cannot pass directly from parents to child?
9700/11/M/J11 Q. 36.
Help me please!

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain this one point?
I read in a book that the plasmodium which causes Malaria can pass form the mother to the fetus via the placenta. But in one question, the mark scheme said that malaria cannot pass directly from parents to child?
9700/11/M/J11 Q. 36.
Help me please!
fetus is not the same as the child.

Reaction score
just tell me the way ...
magnification = observed size (ruler) / (divide) actual size
they should be in the same units (i.e metres)
magnification = 2500
therefore

2500 = observed size / actual size
substitute to get the actual size (as = observed / 2500), and then multiply that by 1 um (micrometre)

Reaction score
Excuse me?o_O
The fetus is the unborn child, but a child is ... the born child? :p
I think they mean "child" as in the disease can pass through breastfeeding and not through the placenta...however I think the answer is b) malaria not because it's "correct" but because of elimination, i.e the other answers are incorrect. Also, they say "parent", not "mother", so sickle-cell is obv. incorrect as it require both parents to have the gene for sickle-cell..

Sickle cell anemia - genetic / hereditary and so can be passed from parent to child
TB / Cholera - bacterium and so can be transferred through the placenta? Not sure.

Reaction score
I think they mean "child" as in the disease can pass through breastfeeding and not through the placenta...however I think the answer is b) malaria not because it's "correct" but because of elimination, i.e the other answers are incorrect. Also, they say "parent", not "mother", so sickle-cell is obv. incorrect as it require both parents to have the gene for sickle-cell..

Sickle cell anemia - genetic / hereditary and so can be passed from parent to child
TB / Cholera - bacterium and so can be transferred through the placenta? Not sure.

When the child is born, it may have the plasmodium inside it, hence suffer from malaria. Sickle cell anemia is an inherited disease and definitely cannot be the answer.
THIS IS A DAMN CONFUSING QUESTION...I mean Malaria can pass from the parents to child....URGH!!!:mad::confused:

Reaction score

AND...if they are asking whether the disease can pass through breastfeeding, what about TB and cholera? I mean bacteria cannot pass through breast feeding!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO: