• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Reaction score
17 In which process does mitosis not have an important role in living things?
A asexual reproduction
B growth of cells
C increase in size
D repair to damaged tissues

The answer is B ...why ?????????????????????????????????? plzzzzz anybody explain
rogue94

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
A asexual reproduction
B growth of cells
C increase in size

The answer is B ...why ?????????????????????????????????? plzzzzz anybody explain
rogue94

Examiner's wordings, "The growth of cells does not involve mitosis, whilst an increase in size of living things would involve mitosis to produce more cells."

Reaction score
A asexual reproduction
B growth of cells
C increase in size

rogue94
There is a fine line between growth of cells and growth of tissues. Mitosis causes growth of tissues by increasing cell numbers; it does not cause the growth of a cell itself! :) It's important to understand that mitosis causes growth and repair of tissues, not growth and repair of cells!

Reaction score
mcq 24)this one is really simple,the answer can only b A bcuz B & D has the base URACIL in it so they r not DNA while C shows the attachment of nucleotides of both the templates in the same direction,while one template is replicated in 5'-3' and the other one is replicated in 3'-5'direction
mcq 40) i m confused abt this 1
2010/13
2) answer cannot b B or C bcuz the graph shows that the enzyme takes more time for the reaction at the potimum temperature while it shld take the least time at this temp.and D is also wrong bcuz it shows that the enzyme is NOT completely denatured at 50 degree celsus...
6)is it D? IF it is than i dunno how cuz i hav a realy stupid theory abt it...
17) i think that the aswer is B.bcuz Q,R and S shows the pressure in the ventricle when the blood flws in it.
34) sorry i hav no idea abt it
2010/12
4) for my convenience i converted all the measurements in metres:
eukaryote= 1.5 x 10^1 um = 1.5x10^-5 m
prokaryote= 7.5x10^2 nm = 7.5 x 10^-7
the line is 1 cm or 0.01 m long
no. of W.B.C = 0.01 / (1.5 x 10 ^-5) = 6.7 x10^2
no. of streptococcus = 0.01 /(7.5 x 10^-7) = 1.3 x 10^4
2010/11
5) confused!

Reaction score
can anybody help me with ques no 28 and 40 of oct/nov /12/2009 and ques 40 of oct/nov/07.........and plz do tell me that what conditions are necessary for nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria ...........there is not much info about them in mary jones...............

Reaction score
There is a fine line between growth of cells and growth of tissues. Mitosis causes growth of tissues by increasing cell numbers; it does not cause the growth of a cell itself! :) It's important to understand that mitosis causes growth and repair of tissues, not growth and repair of cells!
Thanks A Lot :)

Reaction score
mcq 24)this one is really simple,the answer can only b A bcuz B & D has the base URACIL in it so they r not DNA while C shows the attachment of nucleotides of both the templates in the same direction,while one template is replicated in 5'-3' and the other one is replicated in 3'-5'direction
mcq 40) i m confused abt this 1
2010/13
2) answer cannot b B or C bcuz the graph shows that the enzyme takes more time for the reaction at the potimum temperature while it shld take the least time at this temp.and D is also wrong bcuz it shows that the enzyme is NOT completely denatured at 50 degree celsus...
6)is it D? IF it is than i dunno how cuz i hav a realy stupid theory abt it...
17) i think that the aswer is B.bcuz Q,R and S shows the pressure in the ventricle when the blood flws in it.
34) sorry i hav no idea abt it
2010/12
4) for my convenience i converted all the measurements in metres:
eukaryote= 1.5 x 10^1 um = 1.5x10^-5 m
prokaryote= 7.5x10^2 nm = 7.5 x 10^-7
the line is 1 cm or 0.01 m long
no. of W.B.C = 0.01 / (1.5 x 10 ^-5) = 6.7 x10^2
no. of streptococcus = 0.01 /(7.5 x 10^-7) = 1.3 x 10^4
2010/11
5) confused!

THANKUUUUU =))))))