• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

AS Biology P1 MCQs Preparation Thread

Reaction score
hey can someone help me with this questions from novmeber 2011 variant 1
Which does not increase the efficiency of gaseous exchange in the alveoli?
A The blood capillaries and alveoli have a large total surface area.
B The blood flow is slowed as it passes through the pulmonary capillaries.
C The walls of the alveoli and capillaries are moist.
D The walls of the alveoli and capillaries are very thin.

why is the answer C ?? i always studies that moist surfaces help rapid diffusion of the gases?

Reaction score
hey can someone help me with this questions from novmeber 2011 variant 1
Which does not increase the efficiency of gaseous exchange in the alveoli?
A The blood capillaries and alveoli have a large total surface area.
B The blood flow is slowed as it passes through the pulmonary capillaries.
C The walls of the alveoli and capillaries are moist.
D The walls of the alveoli and capillaries are very thin.

why is the answer C ?? i always studies that moist surfaces help rapid diffusion of the gases?
it does help gaseous exchange coz gases dissolve in the moist air, however it does not increase the ''EFFICIENCY'', which is what the examiner is asking abt here...
hope that helped

Reaction score
Aoa can anyone explain the difference between the composition of tissue fluid and lymph ?plz :)

Reaction score
this is the trend for hydrolytic enzyme activity, can someone please explain the reason for this trend?Screen shot 2012-06-13 at 10.57.05 AM.png

Reaction score
it does help gaseous exchange coz gases dissolve in the moist air, however it does not increase the ''EFFICIENCY'', which is what the examiner is asking abt here...
hope that helped
how come? i read alot of websites and all said it increases efficiency because without moisture the gases cannot diffuse rapidly so decreasing efficiency and moisture was always one of the points for efficiency of gaseous exchange surfaces

Reaction score
The King XII can u please help with this
OKay sure ummm lysosomes obviously have high enzyme activity because they are just vesicles packed with hydrolytic enzymes 2. mitichondria is semi-autonomous organelle that has ribosomeS so obviously enzymes are proteins right so the more the ribosomes the more the hydrolytic activity 3. nuclei manufacture ribosomes (nucleolus) but as you can see they get out of the nucleus so is there isn't much so low activity 4. a single ribosome won't do much damage ;)

Reaction score
how come? i read alot of websites and all said it increases efficiency because without moisture the gases cannot diffuse rapidly so decreasing efficiency and moisture was always one of the points for efficiency of gaseous exchange surfaces
hmm i dunno this is what i understood when i did the qn......can anybody please assist sarasousou1996 with this